News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train set-based layouts

Started by DAVISinGP, February 11, 2021, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVISinGP

Although I never had a model train set as kid, I've always been interested in them and thought I'd give it a try as a retirement hobby.

So a little over three years ago I got a Bachmann Digital Commander. I've had a great time since, mostly building scenery.

One thing I noticed right away is that train set-based layouts don't seem to be very popular in model train publications.

So, to make a long story short, I documented my experience in building a table top, set-based layout (and other dioramas). It might be more pertinent for a beginner, but I figured that this would be a good forum in which to link up with others in a similar situation.

Your feedback is welcome.

www.bostontype.com

Pauley

rich1998

Generally train sets are not but layouts are in many train forums.

Rich

wiley209

A train set is definitely a great way to start out. But if you want to build an actual model railroad layout using it, you'd definitely want more track than what's included in the set. This is why Bachmann sells the E-Z Track Expander sets, in both steel and nickel-silver. Bachmann also has that Your First Railroad Track Pack so you can build the World's Greatest Hobby 4x8 demonstration layout, and there are many other kinds of track plans out there you can use, or design your own, or even modify an existing plan, like I did for my current HO-scale model train layout, taking a 4x8 E-Z Track plan from the 1998 reprint of "The HO Model Railroading Handbook" by Robert Schleicher and added an extension for the 11x8 L-shaped platform it went on.
One method I feel is that with such a train set that includes E-Z Track, for the first week of operation you could just set up the included circle or oval of track as-is on the bare platform, maybe even get this layout assortment to enhance the circle or oval of track (if the set didn't already come with such signs, poles and figures, that is), and then start making plans for a more elaborate layout. Bachmann also makes a couple of nice train set expander packs that include enough extra track to make a dead-end siding, a Plasticville building kit and an additional freight car for your train. They remind me of the expander packs Lionel makes for their O-scale train sets, and I remember Bachmann's old (now defunct) rival Life-Like trains making similar expander packs as well.
That's one of the beauties of model railroading; the possibilities can be endless!

Len

Life-Like isn't exactly defunct, they, and their tooling, were bought out by Walthers. The old Life-Like "Power-Loc" track is now sold as part of their "Trainline" products. They still carry the adapter to go from "Power-Loc" track to Bachmann's "EZ-Track" for anyone wanting to expand an old Life-Like set beyond the "Power-Loc" pieces available.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

wiley209

Quote from: Len on February 14, 2021, 04:49:47 PM
Life-Like isn't exactly defunct, they, and their tooling, were bought out by Walthers. The old Life-Like "Power-Loc" track is now sold as part of their "Trainline" products. They still carry the adapter to go from "Power-Loc" track to Bachmann's "EZ-Track" for anyone wanting to expand an old Life-Like set beyond the "Power-Loc" pieces available.

Len

That's right. Additionally, some of the Life-Like scenic accents, like their figures, are now sold under the Walthers SceneMaster brand, and many of the Life-Like Proto 1000 and 2000 locomotives are now sold under the Walthers Proto brand. I'd like to also see Walthers maybe bring back the Life-Like operating accessories to be sold under the Trainline brand, as they had a bunch of neat stuff (I could see Life-Like's Power-Loc dual crossing gate upgraded with nickel-silver rails and maybe a better and more realistic paint job, like Bachmann's dual crossing gate got when it was upgraded to work with E-Z Track.)

Also, one advantage the nickel-silver Bachmann E-Z Track has over the steel track is it comes in a wide variety of lengths, radii and turnout options compared to the steel E-Z Track, so it's also a lot more suitable for tabletop layouts, like my current one. In fact, in the 1970s TYCO had their "Layout Expander System" where you could start with a train set with a basic circle of track, get their Track Layout Expander and thus enlarge it to a nice 4x8 oval with passing siding and simple blocking, and then expand it with more sidings and an inner loop. The finished plan would actually be a perfect track plan for starting out with DCC; just put the track together without any of the insulation gaps or extra terminal sections! (It could even be made with Bachmann's nickel-silver E-Z Track, knowing that a but of cutting and customization would be needed for the turnouts on the two dead-end sidings on the bottom half of the plan...

Heck, if I were building such a model train layout in the late 1970s and I was a kid or teenager, I'd go with the Layout Expander System plan, using a nice mix of Bachmann, TYCO and A.H.M. products (as Life-Like was still smaller then and didn't really get big until the 1980s when they really stole much of TYCO's thunder and took their place as Bachmann's biggest rival.)

the Bach-man

Dear Pauley,
I went to your site and found it very interesting.
Keep on having fun!
the Bach-man

DAVISinGP

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 14, 2021, 11:12:44 PM
Dear Pauley,
I went to your site and found it very interesting.
Keep on having fun!
the Bach-man
Thanks, Bach-man. Much appreciated.

Terry Toenges

I remember Willoughby. I've seen that a few times. ;)
Feel like a Mogul.