Tortoise switch machines wiring?

Started by MC, December 29, 2007, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

Can someone help with the wiring of Tortoise switch machines. I am using Figure #2 on the directions with a single DC power supply. Several of them work fine but some of them will only work once and then nothing. I have checked for binding but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I am using DPDT switches and also DPDT center off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MC
WV Steam

robin

MC,

Check your center off switches - the Tortoises require power all the time, otherwise known as full stall machines. 

If you're using computer edge (card) connectors rather than soldering directly to the Tortoise contacts - one or more of them may have slipped off the proper contact.

Robin

MC

Robin,
Thanks for the response.

I believe I have a couple bad switches. Two out of the seven I installed aren't working.  I finally moved the wire from one machine to one of the working ones and it worked fine. Guess I will need to make another trip to the LHS for more switches.

Do you know of a way to check out a DPDT switch before it's installed?

MC

robin

MC,

You could make up two 12 volt test lights with a source of 12 volt power and a little wire (mini aligator clips are handy also).  Remember - your DPDT switches aer just contacts clolsing a circuit.

Robin