News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0

Started by nymark, January 25, 2021, 11:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nymark

I am wondering what the difference is between the C-19 and the "Connie" when it comes to these 2-8-0's. I won an Ebay auction for a 2-8-0 last Saturday and thought all 2-8-0's were C-19's aka "Connies" In other words, I thought they were one and the same. It started to dawn on me that these were two different models.

The one I bought is a "Connie." It's almost brand new but I think it's been sitting in its box for a number of years. The gear is split but it powers up runs. I ordered a new gear from Bachmann and found a few different sites that show how to replace it. I also found an article in Garden Railways that has a step by step pictorial.

The reason I bought it was the box indicated it is DCC ready. Hard wiring a decoder into one of these engines may be beyond my ability. I had seen a photo of a plug and play socket in a tender on a 2-8-0 but I am now thinking that is a C-19 photo. Probably, I'll try to get a decoder for this Connie and keep it. Gotta say, I wish I had understood the difference because I think I might rather have a C-19. And I guess this is my question. Is one better than the other?

Any insight into my C-19 vs. Connie issue would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Nymark

mickeykelley

No expert, but they will jump in.  I have both and like you didn't understand the difference at first.  Basically the Connie you have is based on a model from central or South America or something. Inside vs outside frame as I recall but beyond my understanding. The Connie has known gear issues.  At one point there was a guy who made a built proof fix (Barry's Big Trains) but he had age/medical issues and may have even passed.  Unfortunately I didn't get one of them and now you can't find them. The C19 is a later based on American release and has the newer bells and whistles. I've read a number of times that it was the pinnacle of the Bachmann engines.

StanAmes

Nymark

Bachmann has made great strides in the overall quality of its locomotives over the years.

The origional 2-8-0 is an outside frame locomotive which means you see the counterweights.  It was manufacturered in the 2000s.

The most common problem is the axle gear which failed frequently.  A few years ago Bachmann produced an axle with a brass gear which solves this issue.

The motor in this locomotive is also rather small for such a large locomotive.  There are instructions included for DCC conversion and it is not difficult but is does require a little work.

The C-19 is a much more recient production and is perhaps the best locomotive produced by any manufacturer.  It has a powerful large Pittman motor and brass gears.

The locomotive has great pulling power and also has a plug and play board in it for easy DCC or RC conversion.

We have both in use on our railway,  The ourside frame 2-8-0s are for the most part yard locomotives while the C-19s are road locomotives.

Hope that helps

Stan

nymark

I want to thank both StanAmes and mickeykelley for the information about "Connie" vs C-19. While I think I got a decent deal on my purchase, I would have rather used the money for a C-19 or maybe one of the new ten wheelers that are coming out. My plan will be to replace the gear for sure and see how it runs. I tend to keep things once purchased but may sell it and use the funds to get something else. It came with a really sturdy shipping box. I think the seller bought it back in the earlier 2,000's (as Stan indicated), ran it and the gear broke. He then boxed it and put it in his garage for many years. It is really new and almost untouched. Thanks to all for the info!

Yet another edit: I spent a bit of time after writing this looking at modifications and DCC installation (much appreciation to Greg E among others). A new question occurred to me. Can I buy a new C-19 motor and use it in my Connie? I don't think it's likely but thought I would ask and see what others think.

Greg Elmassian

I think it would be a lot of work, and even then, you might find other weaknesses in the drive train if you are pulling more cars/loads.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

nymark

Thanks for pointing that out and it makes so much sense. The less powerful engine is less likely to cause drive train problems. I like this engine but am not happy with myself for buying uninformed and not doing my research. The modifications you have on your website will be helpful. This engine is basically new so I'm guessing any typical problems like a loose motor may exist. It will be fun to work on and get running. I imagine I'll learn a lot. Much appreciated Greg.

Fred2179

There's a thread over on Largescalecentral.com about the 2-8-0 gears, and a description for a guy about replacing the motor and gears with the C-19 unit.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/31174/spectrum-2-8-0-fn3-gearbox-issues

nymark

Hi Fred,

I have since run across this same article which I read with a lot of interest. I want to start collecting parts, specifically gears. I have the axle with the metal gear and plan on opening the "Connie" up soon. From my reading, it seems there are a number of things I will want to check. My plan is to open up the gearbox and check all the gears. I also read about removing some kind of electronic at the back of the motor as it is unnecessary (can't remember what it is called). These forums are a great resource. There seems to be a guy who can make these gears named Jiro Yeramian and I am wondering how to contact him. I'll have to go back and go over the posts. All are very recent.There is also a guy on Ebay who is making gears for 4-6-0.s and 4-4-0's. As expensive as these engines are and as much as we love them, it would be very frustrating to not be able to repair a breakdown.

Thank you for this information, I'm going to keep digging for more,
Nymark

Fred2179

Quotea guy who can make these gears named Jiro Yeramian
He posts on Facebook and his email is girotek (at) rcn.com. He has lots of gears and I have used a few.

The board on the motors is usually noise suppression for DCC decoders, I think.

I would also suggest you can easily retrofit a new motor and use the new brass gears. It's relatively simple to pull a gear of a motor shaft and fit it on a new motor.

nymark

Hi Fred,

The information you provided is great news. I will try to contact Mr. Yeramian to see if I can get those three gears for the gearbox. I am wondering about the DCC noise suppression board as I am planning on getting a decoder for this locomotive. To keep it or not... I read it interferes with Crestview (?) devices.

Not sure if my skills will allow me to replace the Connie motor with one from the C-19. Maybe in the future.

Thanks very much for this information Fred!

Nymark