News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heisler problem

Started by Geomaticsman, February 16, 2021, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geomaticsman

Hi All;

A few months ago I purchased a "new in box" On30 Heisler via eBay with factory DCC+Sound installed to run on my Xmas layout. After a quirky startup it seemed to be running fine, though it did tend to pop and snap from time to time. Hmmm.

Anyway after sitting since the holidays I fired it up and was perplexed to find that it refused to run. When power is turned on all sound function work just fine but the motor shows no signs of life. Nothing is obviously wrong. I'm running a standard NCE powercab controller. I tried a factory reset CV8=8 and the light flashed 16 times when restarted indicating the factory soundtraxx decoder did acknowledge the reset, but still no go -- all sound functions work but she's dead on the rails.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, otherwise it's off to the locomotive hospital since I have zero electrical diagnostic skills.

Thanks!
Gary
in Canada

rich1998

If the loco did not run on address 3 it could be the decoder or motor. Most probably decoder.  maybe a wire. No idea if you are into troubleshooting DCC locos with a multimeter.

I have the Power Cab and it is reliable.
I would contact the Service department next.

Rich

Geomaticsman

Quote from: rich1998 on February 17, 2021, 02:00:13 PM
If the loco did not run on address 3 it could be the decoder or motor. Most probably decoder.  maybe a wire. No idea if you are into troubleshooting DCC locos with a multimeter.

I have the Power Cab and it is reliable.
I would contact the Service department next.

Rich

Thanks Rich, yes it's definitely address 3...that was the address it was running on when it worked and all the sound functions still work on 3. The loco still emits a "snap" on startup from time to time suggesting there's a problem. I've pulled it apart but can't see anything obviously wrong. I expect you're right -- decoder problem. I'll probably just bite the bullet and replaced the decoder with a newer version and add a keep alive at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

rich1998

The "Snap" is a surprise. Is it a SoundTraxx decoder? I only have one Bachmann HO loco with the onboard SoundTraxx decoder.

Rich

Geomaticsman

Quote from: rich1998 on February 17, 2021, 07:45:15 PM
The "Snap" is a surprise. Is it a SoundTraxx decoder? I only have one Bachmann HO loco with the onboard SoundTraxx decoder.

Rich

It's the OEM, so yes, soundrtraxx. My guess is the decoder is defective and will need to send it somewhere for repair.

railtwister

My Heisler worked great when first purchased, then after sitting on the shelf for several months, the motor won't run at all. I've heard of other Heislers having similar issues, and I suspect it is the motor locking up, since the lights still work with the decoder. I am hesitant to try to take it apart, so it has joined all of my On30 geared locos (2 shays, climax, plus railbus and rail truck) sitting on the dead line due to bad gears. I would love to hear the resolution of your issue.

Bill in FtL