News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Different couplers

Started by bluwtr, February 16, 2021, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluwtr

Are there better couplers that can replace the standard ones that came on our set (Bachmann n scale Yard Boss)?  Often the couplers do not engage properly and the cars just disconnect.  Is there a way to adjust the couplers vs. replacing them?

rich1998

You can buy the Kadee #205 coupler height gauge and the trip pin pliers or switch to Kadee couplers.
The Kadee page shows many different types of couplers. The standard was the #5 for many years.
Good track work is important also.

Rich

jward

When I was in N scale I was sold on the Micro Trains "Reverse draft angle" couplers. The pulling faces were concave, which made them less likely to slip out of each other's grasp on heavy trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Oops. Wrong scale. My bad.

Rich

bluwtr

Thanks.  We've noticed that sitting on flat level track that some of the couplers do not line up in height.  One is higher than the other.  

I will look at the "reverse draft angle" couplers.  Is there a "brand" or is the brand Micro Trains?

Sorry for sounding dumb but we are brand new to the hobby.

Any other suggestions/tips are much appreciated as well.

Wes

rich1998

Check Walther's. They sell a N scale coupler gauge. I think Amazon sells it also.]

Rich

bluwtr

Is one type/brand better than others? One thing about the True Scale are their cost.  That could get expensive very quickly.  What are the regular knuckle couplers vs the magnetic style?  Are the magnetic ones basically what you would find with the wooden child trains or are the a different connection?

jward

The ones I used were the Micro Trains 1015 RDA couplers. They were designed to be mounted under the floor of the car, instead of on the trucks like most N scale couplers. They may make trucks with RDA couplers. It's been about 15 years since I was in N scale.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

plas man

good old Bachmann - remiss of the past - white box and before era  ;D

when they bought a lot of smaller (life like and others) model railroad manufactures out  , and the couplers

was at all different heights , it now looks like they are shoving it into train sets  ???

Bachmann have pulled their socks up over the past couple of years , although their N scale stuff still suffers split gears

rich1998

That is all part of Model Railroading. You have to make it work.
Today gears are mass produced in plastic molding machines from what I understand and quality can be fluctuating.
I use to have a friend that worked at a facility that ran molding machines and I saw thew rejects.

Rich

jward

So how do the 3d printed gears hold up compared to the originals?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Some have bought HO ones from Shapeways and seem to like them from a little I heard and the axles for older Bachmann locos. Maybe they have to be run in. No idea.But a lot has to be learned about 3d printing. A new technology. I have not seen any discussions yet.
Not sure they sell N scale gears.

Rich

bluwtr

Thanks for all of the replies.  I will look at all of the options.  We just want ones that will lock up and stay connected.