Grafting an old boiler onto a newer mechanism

Started by danmerkel, December 29, 2007, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmerkel

OK, here's the scoop... I've always liked the looks of the C&O heavy Mikado with the flying pumps & the Elesco feedwater heater on the smokebox.  Well, the other night, I found out that my NKP actually leased some of those very engines from the C&O to ease a locomotive shortage during WWII.  While this is not my era, it is an excuse for me to run one on my layout.

So here's my thought... AHM did at one time make one of these engines with that very configuration of pumps & the feedwater heater.  Does anyone know if I could take the boiler off of that engine and put it on the mechanism of the newer IHC engine with its much improved mechanism?  That would be a whole lot easier than cutting off detail parts & adding new ones. 

If anyone happens to have both engines, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

dlm

Paul M.

I'm not sue, I have neither locomotive, but I guess you MIGHT be able to do it.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

RAM

I would think that it would work.  I think the big change was in the mechanism.  I say go for it. (since it is your money)  No really you have to buy the whole locomotive to get the mechanism, so I can see where you could go wrong.  If the old boiler does work , then you add the details to the new one.  It is plastic so it should not be hard to add the detail.