Power pack question for a new Bachmann owner

Started by Bristol, February 18, 2021, 10:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol

I'm just getting started with Bachmann Trains. I have questions about the power pack. I have a power pack that is rated for 1 amp. I don't seem to have enough power that goes around to my entire layout. I don't have a lot of experience with the power pack usage with a basic Bachmann power pack.

My questions are the following:
How do I raise the amperage to about 3 amps with my current set of a power pack that is rated 1 amp.
Can I use an old power pack from a Tyco train set to run the switches on my Bachmann layout?
What I can I purchase to raise the amperage to 3 amps? Is there something that Bachmann sells?
Can a person add or should a person add Track feeders to bigger layout to get the power around the entire layout?
If I can, how do I do it?
Thank for assistance.

rich1998

Right now it sounds like a voltage issue.  Track wiring might not be correct. Connections between sections of track. The power pack is sending voltage not amps. The loco draws the amps it needs. For HO, usually less than an amp.

If an engine cannot make it around correctly, you have wiring, track connection issues.
I have seen a Bachmann power pack running a loco at a train show for quite a while with no issues.

Rich

jward

Answers are contained within the quote under the appropriate question.....

Quote from: Bristol on February 18, 2021, 10:38:19 PM
I'm just getting started with Bachmann Trains. I have questions about the power pack. I have a power pack that is rated for 1 amp. I don't seem to have enough power that goes around to my entire layout. I don't have a lot of experience with the power pack usage with a basic Bachmann power pack.

My questions are the following:
How do I raise the amperage to about 3 amps with my current set of a power pack that is rated 1 amp.

To do this you will need to replace the power pack with something better. I don't think Bachmann makes a 3 amp pack but MRC does.

Can I use an old power pack from a Tyco train set to run the switches on my Bachmann layout?

Yes. Use the AC terminals.

What I can I purchase to raise the amperage to 3 amps? Is there something that Bachmann sells?

Short of replacing the power pack you can't raise the amperage. You need to buy something rated much higher than the pack that came with your set.

Can a person add or should a person add Track feeders to bigger layout to get the power around the entire layout?
If I can, how do I do it?

I find soldering the rail joiners is usually sufficient. If you're using steel track that is difficult. If you're using Nickle silver then it's not hard to do.\

Thank for assistance.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

If your loco slows down the further it gets from the pack, usually the issue is track or wiring to the track.
That happened to me with my first layout many, many years ago using sectional track.

Rich