New Sound Value loco 4-6-2 casuses occupancy issues with Digitrax board

Started by OlddManWithHO, February 26, 2021, 02:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

All,

Got a new Bachmann Lt Pacific loco that has Sound Value loaded and I noticed while running around the track it was cause supporatic occupancy sensors to go off around on tracks hooked to same BDL16 board.  I have other locos that go through that area with no problems.

Any idea what going on?   Will be beefing up the track power wires going to the BDL16 but this should not have happened.

Roger

jonathan

Roger,

Don't have the Pacific, but I do have a number of the sound value locos, which have all run ok on digitrax systems.

This is a real shot in the dark, but I have experienced some occupancy/response issues.

When is the last time you cleared the memory of your system?  Every now and then we had to clear and recycle our club system (digitrax).  If you don't, you start to experience runaway trains, unexplained stopping through a block, or non-response to certain addresses.

This may not be your problem, but its the most common problem I can think of.

Also, occasionally a booster would get accidentally set to "N" instead of "HO".  Wouldn't notice it right away because some locos will run fine on lower voltage.

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Jonathan,

The problem with this loco occurs on both side of my layout.  Each side has an older Digitrax sensor board (BDL16).  Loco is causing spuratic sensor reorts in unoccupied tracks.  I've been told the problem is probably a capacitor on the circuit board controlling DCC.   I'll have to replace with a better board next, maybe a Tsunami 2 decoder.

Roger