RS-3 DCC Locomotive /disconnecting drive shafts

Started by tomfro, February 08, 2021, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomfro

Good Morning All

I have a Bachmann RS-3 locomotive, that seems to be slipping its drive shafts from both trucks. Its a relatively easy fix but I'm wondring if anybody else is encountering this problem, and whether anybody has heard of a permanent fix for it.

Thanks

Tomfro

rich1998

Does this happen when running or handling the loco?

Rich

tomfro

It happens sometimes while the loco is running and other times when it comes to a abrupt stop. For example yesterday it was running fine and then it suddenly stopped and the motor seemed to be racing. So I took the shell off and both shafts were disengaged from the worm gears for no apparent reason.

T

rich1998

That does sound like an issue with the loco. A re the truck firmly mounted? The motor firmly mounted? Real strange.
I only have the 44ton and 70 ton for diesels.

Rich

Len

Not specifically with the RS-3, but I've had similar problems with other locos. It turned out the flywheels with the drive shaft connectors had been pressed too far onto the motor shafts. This allowed the drive shaft to pop out, particularly on curves. Moving the flywheels slightly away from the motor cured the problem.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ME1808

Sounds like the coupling that is on the worm gear for the drive shaft cracks and slips on the worm gear shaft. I had ordered a few from Bachmann parts
Eddy.