News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale lighting

Started by Grumpy468, February 28, 2021, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

So i was driving by the local refinery last night, and it looked really sharp all lit up. I would like to incorporate small lights in my refinery as i build it, may be easier to adapt them in place before it is all assembled?

I also want to add lights to the inside of all my buildings, that will be easy i have made provisions, added a second floor divider in my houses etc.

Where can i find specialty small lights for the refinery?  What has everyone been using in general for lighting.  I am not really looking for a plug and play system, i want something i can build and solder. I have 6 toggle switches and a large dc power supply already in place on my panel board.
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

jonathan

I use surface mount LEDs (SMD), soldered to magnet wire. They are great for building exteriors, vehicle headlights, skinny lampposts, and the like. I have also dabbled with brass lamp shades. I think they're from A-Line. Been a long time. Memory is cloudy on that.

If you wire the SMDs yourself, you can hide the resistors inside the structures or under the layout. 

If you flip through my layout photos, you'll see some examples.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

jonathan

DSC_0454 (2) by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

There are a half dozen SMDs around this structure.  Lights up the area well.

r,
JV

Grumpy468

jward

I'm loving that substation. Do you have powerlines coming into it?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

On my to do list... ;). R, jv

plas man

cheep lights (LED) from the £ pound/$ dollar shop - a string of xmas tree lights battery powered , about 3 - 4.5 volt .

Grumpy468

jward

Nice. I need to build one. Those places always fascinated me. You don't see them modelled much. The power lines themselves could be easily scratchbuilt.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Grumpy468

I am going to use spandex thread for power lines throughout the entire layout

Terry Toenges

All I can say is "Wow!" You guys and these power stations and refineries.  Just to be able to figure that all out and build it is something else.
Feel like a Mogul.

Grumpy468

Terry One of my biggest customers at work is the local refinery. I have taken so many pictures out there, to help me. I am lucky, i have a birds eye view of a real refinery. There are lots of little sub stations around here as well, so i hopped in the car and went for a drive, and took lots of pictures as well.

OLDERTIMER

Excelently done, like your work, Paul G