News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann ballast gluer

Started by jimcabc, March 04, 2021, 02:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimcabc

I am interested in your Proses by Bachmann ballast gluer.  I'm interested in how it works, as there is no description for this.  Also, does the gluer come with glue or if not, what glue would you recommend.  Thanks! ;)   

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
It's a device that dispenses measured amounts of ballast cement as you move it down the track.
There are commercial ballast cements, but a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, with a drop of liquid detergent,
will work very well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

plint

You can also use a small eye dropper or turkey baster, dipped and loaded in a cup of the 50-50 water glue mix.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

jimcabc

Thanks so much - looks ez!
Jim

Len

I find you get less 'clumping' of the white glue and water if you use warm, not hot, water.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jimcabc

Thanks Len I'll keep that in mind!

Grumpy468

Sid, AKA Wounded Bear taught me how to ballast. There is no easy way, and it is time consuming. I bought a ballast spreader that slides along the rails, and  also use a plastic spoon.After i was done shaping the sides etc, getting the ballast how i wanted it, i would do a 6" section at a time, spray liberally with 90% alcohol, then use a pipette with a water glue mix 50/50 and soak that section. then move on to the next 6" section. You have to be very very careful around your turnouts, a drop at a time to make sure you don't glue them shut.
We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.