News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming DCC Engine Issues

Started by mecoastie, March 04, 2021, 08:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mecoastie

Need some assistance with programming a new Bachamnn Engine that I received last year, and just got around to converting my layout to DCC. The engine is DCC ready with the DCC board model H633Y+PCB01 Rev A. I am trying to program the engine to be DCC using a programming track using the Digitrax Zephyr DCS 051 and DCS 052 with no avail. I do see the code "D n A" on the screen of the DCS 051. I am not sure if it is the controller or the DCC board that came with the engine.
I have tried to have both the programming power and the rail power to the programming track and just having the programming leads from the controller. The engine does not answer to the CV code programmed in and does not respond to the default that I have found in my research (03). It only responds to the default DC control of 00 for the engine ID. Any assistance would be grateful in getting this resolved.

rich1998

Does is have the EZ Command decoder or a Digitrax decoder?
also, with the Digitrax system it has been recommended here to put a 1k resistor across the rails when programming.

Rich

mecoastie

Rich

The H633Y+PCB01 Rev A board is not EZ Command or Digitrax, it is the standard one that can also be found in the Bachmann parts catalog. It is just a straight DCC board that controls lights and the motor.

I will try the 1k resistor trick later. I hadn't seen that so thanks for that info. Do we know why that is the case?

rich1998

If I am reading this correctly, you have to plug in a decoder. DCC ready means ready for a decoder. Remove the DC adapters. Mine had two three pin on the eight pin socket.No idea which loco.

Rich

plint

DCC Ready means that it needs a decoder and that the plug is already installed, just "ready" and waiting for you to install the decoder.  It's still DC until the decoder is in there.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

rich1998

If you look at the Information page of the loco  you will probably see the difference of the tender with the DC adapter and a decoder plugged in.

Rich

rich1998

Sorry if it sounds like I am talking down to you but if new to DCC, do a lot of study yo it on the Internet. DC C ready, decoders. Non sound. sound. reverse loops. Boosters. There is a lot of info. Traps.
I know.
Rich

jward

As one who has used the Zephyr since 2004, I can offer some insight others may have overlooked. I think Plint has come pretty close to nailing the problem. It sounds like you do not have an actual decoder in the locomotive. 00 is the address by which the Zephyr runs a DC locomotive. Does your locomotive 'sing' when sitting? Is there a high pitched noise coming from it that changes pitch as it starts to move? Or do you hear a grinding sound as it runs? WHich one do you hear?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mecoastie

Thank you all for the responses. After reading through the responses I realized that board is not a full DCC board, and needed to get a decoder. I have since gotten a decoder from a local store, but have not installed it.

Jward - to answer your question yes the locomotive hums when sitting, and the sound doesn't really change when it moves. No grinding and the pitch doesn't really change either.

Rich - I didn't take your comments as you talking down to me. I have a pretty thick skin from being in the military for many years.

All I still would like to know about the 1K Resistor across the track, what the function of it provides.

Len

The 1k resistor is needed with some Bachmann decoders and a number of mfg's sound decoders, to increase the current flowing from the DCC system during programming. With Digitrax systems, when you know a decoder is installed and you see "no d" in the display, it means the system isn't seeing the decoder and you probably need to try the 1k resistor trick.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Caveat:

You will also get the no d, if you install the decoder backwards.  Ask me how I know.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

Great. You are on your way to full DCC.

Former Tin Can Sailor here.

Rich