0-6-0 Merry Christmas Locomotive, broken plastic axles

Started by BillC, February 09, 2021, 12:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillC

I have a NON DCC 0-6-0 locomotive in which both plastic axles have broken. I don't see the drive wheel assembly for the 0-6-0 NON DCC in the parts store, only the DCC version which it states will not work in the NON DCC locomotive.

Two questions:

Is the NON DCC drive wheel assembly still available for purchase or at least the plastic axle?

Can the DCC version be modified to work with the NON DCC version (i.e. swap the geared wheels between the two assemblies)?

Any assistance is appreciated, Bill

jonathan

Bill,

Serious as I can be...

It will be FAR more economical to search eBay for a used 0-6-0 that runs well.  They can be had in a range between 10 and 40 dollars.

It's a tad bit challenging, but you can swap out the locomotive shells, if you have your heart set on the Christmas paint scheme.

There are no replacement parts for the older locomotives because the design keeps improving over the years... Like getting rid of plastic axles.

I believe you will be far happier, rather than trying to fix something without the parts you need.  Just sayin'

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

Just questioning this whole DCC-non DCC thing. I suspect the main difference between the two is just the addition of a decoder to a stock 0-6-0, all the other parts are the same. I also suspect that what you REALLY mean by non DCC is that you have an older 0-6-0 before they were upgrades to a can motor. Yours probably has the old pancake motor, and if that is the case then the design is totally different and you won't find the parts you need in the Bachmann store. The differences between the two versions have to do with the 0-6-0 being redesigned around a much better motor, and has nothing to do with whether it has DCC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BillC

Thanks for the replies/assistance.

Jonathan, I've been looking at Ebay and found a couple of the 0-6-0s like you said. I guess the risk would be if they have cracked axles also. Suppose I'll take a chance.

JWard, I believe there was more than just the decoder added. It would appear they changed the wheel assembly and incorporated metal axles with a smaller gear. This is indicated in the 'parts' area for the 0-6-0 Drive Wheel Assembly where Bachmann also states "CURRENT GENERATION, METAL AXLE, SMALLGEAR  USED IN DCC ENGINES  Can not be used in earlier generation with plastic axle". I was hoping to find out if I purchase one of these I could possibly swap out the middle wheels (with the gear) and it would work. Anyway, thanks for the input.

BillC

Well, I tried Ebay and purchase two different 0-6-0 locos. Neither one had what I needed. Their wheelsets both differed from mine AND differed from each other. It's a shame Bachmann will not support their older merchandise! Apparently they cannot build anything the same either!

Trainman203

Ford doesn't make all parts for model T's.  Why should Bachmann?