News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Isolated 9" straight track troubleshooting

Started by britemansr, March 08, 2021, 04:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

britemansr

I have a new HO layout with an auto-reversing loop. I use a Digitrax DSC-52 controller and a AR-1 reverse loop module.  I'm using EZ track and am using 2 Bachmann 44597 isolated track unlatched to create the track gap. I have tried adjusting the AR-1 but as my locomotive crosses the 2nd 44597, the track shorts out. What am I doing wrong?

plint

Where are the isolated pieces?  Are they after each side of the turnout, where the loop begins with 1 and ends at the other?  At the other end of the turnout where the train enters, here is where your "Main" wires should connect to the AR1 "Main" terminals and the "loop" wires connect to the "loop" terminals.  These "loop" wires should come from within the reverse loop, between the 2 isolated track pieces.
I use 2 AR1's and the Digitrax Evolution and code 100 track and Peco turnouts.  Not familiar with EZ track but I'm sure it's the same idea electrically.

What does "unlatched" mean?  No rail joiners?
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

jward

How long is the reversing section you are trying to control? Is it shorter than the trains you are running?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

plint

That looks like a lot more work than just using insulated (plastic ) rail joiners.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

plint

Terry Toenges

It depends. By the time you try to pry off the regular rail joiners from E-Z Track without breaking some of the plastic "spikes" holding the rail and cutting some space under the rail without breaking some of the plastic "spikes" to fit the extra thickness of the insulated rail joiners, it's just as easy to slide a couple latches over.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

I find it's easier to put gaps where I want them using a cutoff disk in a Dremel tool, then filling the gap with a dab of white glue to keep the rails from touching.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

plint