Spectrum 2-8-0 - Question about the thingy that should be attached to the wotsit

Started by Searsport, March 19, 2021, 02:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

I have an old Spectrum 2-8-0, Spectrum 81166, SAL #916. There is a short arm amongst the coupling rods that is attached at one end behind a plastic thing top-left of the 2nd driver and is still attached, and the other end should be attached to a pin on the oval thing on the 3rd driver, but has come off. From the parts diagram the rod seems to be part #MTB25 and the ovoid thing it attaches to looks to be the pin on part #OOP01. My question is, if I push the hole in the end of the rod back onto the pin, how do I stop it coming off again? I can't glue it, as the pin needs to rotate within the hole in the rod. I assume it was a push-fit, as the parts diagram does not show a retaining nut.

BTW, it doesn't stop the loco from running, it is just cosmetic, so at a pinch I could remove the rod entirely, as with it hanging loose it can foul the ends of the sleepers or pointwork.

If it is not fixable, which would be a pity as it is a smooth running loco, will the old Spectrum body transplant onto the present 2-8-0 chassis? And does the present chassis have a fully working front coupler with a trip-pin? That would be a big improvement. This old chassis has a non-working knuckle which plugs in with twin prongs, which can be replaced by a non-moving Rapido on twin prongs which is supplied, but I use knuckle couplers and lack of a fully operating front knuckle is a major drawback for a loco that does switching.

BTW, I don't want to run this as DCC, and I don't mind if the front coupler protrudes a bit further than the dummy if that enables it to function fully.

Grateful for any advice,
TIA,
Bill.

DaveGard

First, here's a thread describing how I installed an MTL coupler on my (newer release) Bachmann 2-8-0: https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?45247-Adding-an-MTL-coupler-to-the-pilot-of-my-new-Bachmann-2-8-0

As for your main issue... that is the eccentric and rod linkage for the valve gear that controls the steam and exhaust valves on the cylinders. Not all locos used this style of valve gear, so unless you are a stickler for detail, it might be fine to remove it completely.

I am considering removing these linkages on my 2-8-0, because the prototype I am trying to represent didn't use this style of valve gear. I have started looking into it, and have even purchased a set of spares (more on this below) from Bachmann... but haven't actually started the work, yet, so can't give you a step-by-step. Unfortunately, the process of removing the valve gear completely doesn't look entirely trivial. Looks like you need to remove the eccentric from the rod pin, or find a way to replace the rod pin (altho' it looks outwardly like a screw, the pin appears to be a push-in installation).

As for repair... I don't know that you can easily repair the part you have... it seems that the link between the rod and the eccentric is made by a pin inserting thru a hole on the end of the tie rod, and the end of the pin is then just flattened (mashed)... no nut or other retainer. It seems that mashed end must have worn off on your loco.

But... you can order that linkage from Bachmann as part of the "cylinder assembly:" https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_80&products_id=324&zenid=9d46ulibfnp1jhi18f8oku20s6 ...not too expensive, but it doesn't appear that the installation will be trivial, and would require some skill in working on steam locomotive mechanisms. If you aren't comfortable, you might consider sending it to Bachmann or getting the part and finding someone to repair it for you.

Good luck!

Searsport

Thanks for your very helpful reply. On your coupler change first, unfortunately when I click on the pics I see "Service Temporarily Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later." I'm not sure if that is temporary or if the pics have expired. Anyway, I have a box of MTL 001 02 003 (1015-01) "Universal Body Mount Short Shank Couplers". Is this what you used? I see on the MTL website Product Code: 001 02 001 "BMC - Brown (1015/1016-B) 3pr:  2 pair short shank & 1 pair medium shank with draft gear boxes." I am wondering if the medium shank couplers would help the issue of having to locate the coupler box too far forward to use the screw? There are quite a lot of couplers on the MTL site, all in very small print, and I am looking to see if i can find a Long-Shank coupler, which might serve better still. I found 001 10 301 (1301-10) MTL True-Scale Long Shank Coupler, but that doesn't seem to have a trip-pin, tho it does use the same size coupler box as the 1015.

On the valve gear, I am glad the troublesome parts are called eccentric! The loose rod easily pushes back onto the pin, but presumably will just as easily fall off again. It is not the result of wear, as it came off the first time the loco ran - it was bought a long time ago (2004-5 from a now long-closed hobby shop) and never used. I am reluctant to send it back to Bachmann, as I have heard that with old locos they don't repair, but just send you a current one, and if they no longer make the same RR as the one you sent in you get a loco for a different RR and never see your original again! The pic of the Cylinder Assembly in the parts store makes it much clearer how it all fits together than I could tell from looking at my assembled loco. One simple fix might be to super-glue a flat metal disk to the end of the pin to retain the rod. Or to dispense with the rod. The long pin behind the fake screw suggests it holds quite a lot together, so I am guessing that part would need to stay. Or as you say, a new assembly from the parts store does not cost a lot.

Thanks again,
Bill.

DaveGard

Don't know why you couldn't see the pics... I see them on my computer. The images are hosted by a third party server (PBase). Perhaps it was down for maintenance when you looked?

Just had a thought... you might have to join (and/or log-in to) nscale.net (the discussion board where I posted the thread) to see the images.

I thought of suggesting trying to superglue a small metal retainer to the end of the pivot pin. But it is awfully tiny, and was afraid that the glue might wick into the joint itself. Then the part would be toast. I might suggest a pin point application of epoxy (much less likely to creep or wick then superglue).

Good luck!

rich1998

What I see is a forum.
Normal y no one has to log in to see a photo
I posted a list of twenty photo hosting sites somewhere for 2021.

Rich

Searsport

I am now getting the message below when I click on a photo link:

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page."

I guess "registration" is all about getting your data to sell on to someone else.

Bill.