News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Power Needed-or Useful?

Started by John Tumolo, March 13, 2021, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Tumolo

At the risk of sounding like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor, do I need MORE POWER?  The "stock" Bachmann power pack that came with the On30 set is rated at 15 volts DC, 18 volts AC.  As I am still a Luddite and only use DC power, would the addition of something like a TECH 7 AMPAC 760 POWER PACK from MRC that claims 23 volts DC be to my advantage in getting the Bachmann locomotives to move a bit faster?  I'm still pondering my problem with the Bachmann 2-4-4-2 that barely crawled when full power was applied from the Bachmann power pack, and I'm curious if the upgrade to 23 available volts would have helped, or would the additional power just cook the motor?  Any ideas?  I don't mind going to my local hobby shop and plunking down $100.00 if it's going to be the improvement I think it's going to be, but to spent the money again for another 2-4-4-2 AND a new power pack just to find I'm still in the same boat is going to be, as my friends in Maine are want to say, a pisser.  Thoughts?   ???

John Tumolo   Britcarfan@aol.com

Len

The 2-4-4-2 is DCC Equiped, which means it already has a decoder installed. Decoder equiped locos operated on DC typically don't start moving until there is roughly 5VDC on the rails. From there they typically run slower than a straight DC loco at the same throttle setting. This is normal for most DCC equiped locomotives. On some locos you can remove the decoder and install a 'dummy plug' to allow straight DC operation. But there doesn't seem to be any provision for that on this particular locomotive.

Do not try to operate the locomotive at voltages higher than 12VDC. You can damage the decoder and end up with a locomotive that doesn't move at all.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ton N

I agree with Len.
Going higher than 12V is asking for trouble.
The only solution to your problem is to go DCC.

Ton

2foot6

Either go to DCC or get a higher current rated power contoller.Make sure you keep the voltage at 12 volts but the current is what you need .The controller you have is probably rated at .75 or 1 amp,going to 1.5 or 2 amp will give the motor the power it needs.The motor will only take the current it needs to perform properly if it is available,if it's not available it will struggle and get warm to hot.

John Tumolo

Here's an update-I went ahead and purchased a new MRC power pack and another 2-4-4-2 and I'm happy to report that it all works.  I did try hooking up a "stock" power pack and had the same results as before, so apparently it WAS a power problem.  The new locomotive needed a bit of tweaking to get it to run-apparently when the bottom plate as attached, the gears weren't properly aligned.  I only had to unscrew the plate and move everything back into place.   Looks like the "tool man" was right all along.......................