News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turning off the DCC sound in DC operation

Started by BnO_Hendo, March 15, 2021, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BnO_Hendo

I recently got a Bachmann Pacific Locomotive with DCC sound. Lovely loco. As the instructions say, it is primarily intended for DCC operation. I have a small layout with no intention of ever going to DCC. I'd like to know if there is a way to somehow turn off the sound in DC. None of my other HO engines have it, and it's a bit overwhelming. I'm hoping that I won't have to snip the speaker wires, but that's what I will do if need be.

Thanks!

Hunt

Suggest you locate someone with a DCC system and program CV 128 Master Volume Control to a value of zero if the locomotive you have is equipped with a Sound Value decoder.

Cutting wires to speaker will void product warranty.

BnO_Hendo

I'm afraid I don't know anybody with a DCC system. I know I'm behind the techno curve, but I wish they at least had an off-on switch for us neanderthals that run DC. Voiding the warranty or not, it looks like it's what I'll have to do because the engine is useless to me otherwise.

Thanks.

bapguy

Unsolder the 2 wires from the speaker on the decoder. Tape them up. No more sound.

rich1998

When you order a diesel, the speaker is in the oil tank. The two wires are at the decoder on top of the loco.

Rich

ME1808

Why don't they update them with a volume knob on the decoder so they can have something for DC since they are suppose to be dual mode? Had many at the club complaining about this to me since I am the glorified DCC /DC guy.Lucky we have dcc to do these type of things or the DC folk are hung out the dry with the decoders lack of basics.

Eddy

jward

All of this begs the question: If you didn't want sound why did you pay extra for a sound equipped locomotive?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Quote from: ME1808 on March 20, 2021, 08:51:39 PM
Why don't they update them with a volume knob on the decoder so they can have something for DC since they are suppose to be dual mode? Had many at the club complaining about this to me since I am the glorified DCC /DC guy.Lucky we have dcc to do these type of things or the DC folk are hung out the dry with the decoders lack of basics.

Eddy

Increased cost.

Rich

Terry Toenges

Jeff - If a person wants a Pacific, he doesn't have much choice.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

They can buy an older Pacific and put a non sound decoder in the loco. TCS shows how to do that. It is a rugged loco.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I didn't see an older Pacific listed on Bachmann's site. Only the newer one. I don't know where he got his. He said he is running DC. I don't think he would want a decoder if he didn't have to have one.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

They are at the Bachmann  HO Seeker site and ebay.

E
Rich

SpectrumUser

You've probably done something by now but almost all DCC sound decoders have a mute "button" which is F8, but of course you would still need a friend with DCC to perform the operation.