News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 dcc install issues

Started by Dbernier1974, April 03, 2021, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbernier1974

I have an older spectrum Ho scale 2-8-0.  Came with dcc ready and nmra 8 pin socket.  I purchased an esu loksound 58420, with 8 pin plug.  I did not wire a speaker yet, just plugged the decoder in and programmed it.  First there is no identification mark as to which direction to plug the decoder in.  Bachmann seems to fail in this area I'm told.  I used my judgement, programmed the decoder and it went thru all the motions but I cannot get the engine to move or react in any way.  Help!

Hunt

Before you installed decoder -- Did the locomotive run and have lights using DC power?

If you did not try, do so now, unplug the decoder and reinstall the Dummy Plug in the socket. Using DC power pack,  run the locomotive and look for lights.

==

Per my tech notes, the pin-1 socket is on the left making the pin-8 on right closest to the front of the tender. However, locomotive should still run if you did not plug in the  decoder with correct alignment but you will not have lights.

jonathan

I have this loco, and the other versions as well.  The #1 pin socket is not marked. However, if you look very closely at the board, the #8 pin position is marked with an "8". Hard to see at first.

From experience I can say that the decoder will not program if installed backwards.  It may run on address #3, but it will run backwards.

I use JMRI on a laptop (Frog II interface) to program my locos.  Works well, if you give the system time to warm up.

Depending on your programming system, you may have to put a 1K ohm resistor across the tracks, so the decoder will respond to programming.

I have no experience with loksound. can't speak to that.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998