News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Turnout Relays

Started by BobZ, March 23, 2021, 07:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

Does Bachmann offer replacement turnout relays? I've had a couple of them quit working properly. They will only work in one direction. If not available can anyone suggest a replacement that will work (even if under table).

Thanks

jward

Are you referring to the switch motors hidden in the roadbed, the ones that move the points? If so, no Bachmann doesn't provide parts support for these for some inexplicable reason. I am sure with some ingenuity you could rig something up with a Tortoise motor to replace them, but it isn't going to be an easy fix. What material have you built your layout on? If it's some sort of plywood at least you'll have a solid base on which to mount the new motors.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BobZ

jward,
Thanks for getting back. It is the relay under the roadbed. Layout is mounted on 1/2" MDF. I've had several stop working.
I think an under table motor can be adapted. I guess I'll look into it.
Thanks,
Bob

Len

I haven't tried this myself, but I've been told by a local club member he gutted the underside of a Bachmann turnout with burned out solenoids and installed a Atlas #65 under table switch machine under the roadbed to replace them. He said the pin had to be shortended and some plastic "walls" under the roadbed had to be trimmed out of the way.

This is the #65:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

BobZ

Thanks Len. I will take a look at that.

Len

Quote from: BobZ on March 25, 2021, 08:48:42 AM
Thanks Len. I will take a look at that.

Like I said, I haven't personally tried this. So I don't know how well it actually worked. But it may be worth a shot.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

If you are going to use the Atlas Under table switch motor as Len described, you can save yourself alot of hassle in the future by mounting it under the table as designed. Twin coil switch motors such as this and the ones used on EZ track are prone to burnout if the control buttons are depressed too long, and you'll undoubtedly have to change them out occasionally. It is much easier to unscrew a motor from under the layout than it is to rip up your trackwork trying to get at one mounted in the roadbed. An additional benefit is that the heat generated when the coils are energized can dissipate much better if they are not used in a confined space.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA