News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 Item #28306 And 2-4-4-2

Started by RailMan63, March 19, 2021, 12:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

I just bought a new Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 on Ebay. I also bought a new Bachmann 4-4-4-0 from Train World (ya gotta love their prices! ).
I would like to order the sound card for the 4-4-0, but I'm uncertain as to what I need to buy for it.
I already know what to buy for the 2-4-4-0, as Bachmann lists this loco as coming with a 21 pin decoder installed in the tender, along with a factory installed speaker( might upgrade that ).
So, the 4-4-0 using an 8 pin DCC decoder.
Is there a simple "plug-and-play" solution for this little train from Soundtraxx?
Or should I remove the factory DCC board ,and replace it with a TCS kit, like I did with my ET&WNC 4-6-0?
What do you think?
Later!

Ton N

Which 4-4-0 do you mean , there are the classic and the modern version.
in both you will have to buy a decoder with sound and speaker, your choice of manufacturer.
I presume you are talking about a 2-4-4-2?
Sound pcb is sold separately if you can get it from somewhere.
The pcb is plugged in onto the excisting decoder pcb.

Ton

RailMan63

This is the 4-4-0 that I bought on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-Spectrum-Item-no-28306-On30-4-4-0-AMERICAN-STEEL-LOCOMOTIVE-DCC-/184705986984?

TCS makes a complete kit for this locomotive. I'll probably have to do the same thing with it that I did with my ET&WNC 4-6-0: a complete conversion, unless I can make a Soundtraxx TSU-2200 work with it instead of the TCS unit.
TCS makes a 21 pin board that will plug directly into the decoder in the tender for the 2-4-4-2.
It's exactly the same as my 2-6-6-2.