News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new set up with switch - power supply ?

Started by segsig, March 29, 2021, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

segsig

Hi everybody - I'm new to this site and just starting up a set for the first time in 20 years.  I bought a an oval track with DCC controller and then bought the Ez Track Expander set with two switches.  I got everything hooked up (except for one 9" straight track i FORGOT TO GET) but on each switch there is a red wire coming out of it with 2 red u-clips which i assume goes to a power supply, which of course the store forgot to sell me or tell me about.  Is there a special one I need or can I use a general one with a specific voltage ??? Any help anyone can provide would be great, as I'm still waiting to hear back from the store.  Thanks.

know2gogg

Hi Segsig, if you bought a DCC controller, the power supply usually comes as part of the controller set. It is usually a AC to DC adapter with 12.5 - 13.5 VDC output of a certain amperage capacity (e.g. 1 Amp; 3 Amp). Some controllers use AC as input. The DCC controller may state in the manual what kind of power supply is compatible. If you know the voltage and the type, AC or DC, and the required amperage you can get any commercially available power supply that fits the requirements.

If you have any further questions, post a response, I can help clarify further.
Enjoy,
Andrew