News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Ho 2-8-0

Started by Dbernier1974, April 05, 2021, 07:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbernier1974

I have a spectrum Ho scale 2-8-0.  Bought from ebait.  On DC it runs but I had to give it a push, the motor was revving high before it would move.  The chassis by itself rolls but has a slight wobble, and I wonder if this may be the cause of the motor revving high?

jonathan

Sounds like the cog drive belt is split.  This would allow the motor to spin... the cogged teeth will not catch because the belt is loose because the belt has a split in it.

This happens sometimes.

There are currently 2-8-0 belts available through the parts department.  They always sell out fast. So may want to consider ordering one or two while you have the chance.

Another possibility:

If your 2-8-0 is one of the original Spectrums (it will have white connector plugs instead of orange), there is a possibility that the bushings (holding the worm gear) will not seat properly in the frame.

The easiest fix is making your own bushings out of brass tubing, slightly wider than the original bushings. I can't remember the width of the tubing.  I do recall it's a fairly common size--something that can be purchase at a Hobby Lobby or Michaels Arts and Crafts.

I have performed these fixes.  They aren't difficult, though it will seem so at first.

Regards,

Jonathan

Dbernier1974

You may have been correct.  I had a 2nd unit for parts, with an orange plug.  Swapped the necessary items, including the motor.  Huge difference!  Thanks for the assist!

Hunt

Quote from: Dbernier1974 on April 05, 2021, 07:54:28 AM
. . .   The chassis by itself rolls but has a slight wobble, and I wonder if this may be the cause of the motor revving high?

Wobble usually is do to binding or unlevel track rail and very rarely wheel not round. Bind can be caused by lack of lubrication, bent rods, to more complex to fix  wheels out of quarter.

Hunt

Hopefully drive belt is root of the need to push to get to run issue. But also examine for a split in the drive axle gear.

VTBob

Ironically, I just took one of mine apart that was having this same issue. The drive belt appears to be fine, but the plastic gear between the motor & the flywheel has cracked. I'm not sure the way to go about pulling the flywheel off, & if NWSL makes a metal replacement gear for this.

I have a picture pointing out the cracked gear with a paintbrush handle, but it tells me I can't post the picture here due to the uploads folder being full.

Thanks,
VTBob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont