News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Digitrax and "phantom" consisting

Started by tomelmer84, April 08, 2021, 12:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomelmer84

Hello all,

I hope that someone out there can help me with an issue on my layout that has been creeping up lately.

I run a Digitrax DCC system (DCS 52 Zephyr) and there 11 locomotives on my layout, the majority of them (3 of 11) are also Digitrax decoders.

Recently, for example, when I've been running the throttle on my UP Trio (9660/322/660) another locomotive will also start moving (BNSF 3001 which I have consisted to BNSF 6340) which is not consisted with the other three.  If I un-consist BNSF 3001 with BNSF 6340 and run it alone, the UP trio does not respond.  I don't know what to call it except "phantom consisting".  I hope that makes sense.

Another example.  When I run UP 3024, at least one (but not all) locomotive in the UP will respond.  When I run the UP tio, UP 3024 will not respond.

I've tried resetting decoders, un-consisting and re-consisting, cleaning tracks and wheels, but the issue continues to creep up.  Last night, I had things working again, but then this morning, another crash.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

jonathan

Can't speak to the Zephyr exactly.  But...

Our club layout ran on a Digitrax system.  Think Super Chief--too complex for my mind. 

Every once-in-a-while, we had to clear the system (wipe the memory). Over time, the program memory gets too full.  Locos won't respond to their address and/or, like your problem, parked locos will start running on their own, AND some locos that were once consisted, will think they are still consisted.

There should be something in your troubleshooting manual about it.

I'm no expert, but I definitely remember we had to clear the memory, especially if a lot of us were running trains in the morning... by afternoon it was time to clear the tracks and memory, then start fresh.  Not as bad as it sounds... usually a 5-10 minute operation.

Regards,

Jonathan

tomelmer84

Thank you!

I'm a guy who "doesn't read the manual" much to the chagrin of those around me but I'll dig it out and try it.  ::) ;D Thanks for your help!

Len

Quick and dirty method to clear the DCS52 decoder and consists memory:

"The Reset button can be found recessed on the back of the DCS52, you will need a small pin to press the button. Pressing the reset button on the back of your unit will activate OpSw 36. All mobile decoder and consist info will be cleared."

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

tomelmer84

Thanks, all!

Before I do this, will I have to reprogram the CVs on my locos after I do the reset?

Len

I wouldn't think so. This resets the DCS52 itself, not the locos.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Interesting that as a longtime user of the earlier versions of the Zephyr (DCS50 & 51) I've never encountered this problem. The worst thing I've had to deal with is the occasional loss of programming in a decoder that hasn't been run in a while. That's easy to fix.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tomelmer84

Quote from: Len on April 09, 2021, 12:12:54 AM
I wouldn't think so. This resets the DCS52 itself, not the locos.

Len

That's what I thought, but wanted another opinion.  Thanks all!

This morning I flipped on the power and everything seems fine, but I'll try a reset later today.