News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring EZ Track Remote

Started by Gabuskirk, April 14, 2021, 02:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabuskirk

I have a problem. I am unable to find the green wire extension for EZ Track remote switch. Amy ideas cause in May I am looking at heart surgery and I will be unable to scoot across the floor while putting the bench off until I heal. So for now I also went to 22" radius on my HO Scale layout cause no one was showing on videos what radius to use for 4-8-4. My layout is 8×8. Any thing will help out.

2ManyHobbies

jward

The easiest way to do this is to cut the existing cable and splice in a section of three conductor cable to extend it to where you need it. One of the drawbacks to the Plug n Play approach to wiring is its inherent inflexibility in situations like this.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gabuskirk

I need a total of 150 feet in wire. The switch wires are small there are 3 wires per switch remote. So I cutting them in half between the remote and switch track and splicing them with 18 gauge wire. If no one was out of the 10' foot green wires extension I could have not done it this way so I am using another controller to power the switches. My DCC controller does not have an extra plug in. Mine has to track and power with 10 push button allowing me to 9 DCC locomotives and 1 analog locomotive. So with having a extra controller it sure helps. Today 2 switches are fully completed and works great. 1 problem I have noticed none other wires are single marked and getting the splices in correct places is a challenge so those with the same problem please be aware of this. Just glad I do not have the bench work done yet. Right now I have fun for canine patrols or arriving on main line without warning. Derailments from canine patrol are very slim or catch them sleeping on the job in middle of the layout.

Gabuskirk

For those who are needing some suggestions on wiring needs. Those UBS cords unless you want to spend time like I am doing. Those wires inside that are prone to shortages carefully strip them and perfect size for remote switches. They work perfect for them. Not sure about accessories but perfect for the switches. So trying to help out those struggling trying find to correct size to use.

Len

The center wire is common, so you can tie them all together on a single bus. I use 18/2 lamp cord for the normal/divergent routes. Lamp cord is smooth on one side and has ridges on the other. Just pick which side you want to use for the normal through route to stay consistent. You can use a 9V battery to do a quick test do see which outside green wire from the switch is 'normal through', then mark it with a color marker to keep it straight when you splce it to the lamp cord.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I mark Bachmann's red power wires like that, too. I use their long red extensions with mine. I go along and use black magic marker every foot or so along one of the wires so I don't get them reversed when I connect them together. I have some spliced together so that I have three separate leads going into one power source. I keep terminal track connections consistent - Going clockwise, the blacked wire goes to the front on the outside of the loop of the E-Z Track terminal.
Feel like a Mogul.