News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Insulated rail joiners

Started by smalltimecruiser100, April 17, 2021, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltimecruiser100

Does Bachmann have insulated rail joiners like Atlas does?

Len

No. If you can get the rail joiners off without destroying the track, Atlas code 100 insulated joiners will work on Bachmann EZ-Track. I find it easier to cut gaps with a cutoff disk in a Dremel tool. Then put a drop of white glue in the gap to keep the rail from shifting and touching.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

They do make gapped 9" straight E-Z Track that would take the place of using insulated rail joiners. Bachmann's MSRP is $47 but you can find them for under $30 if you search the web.

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_366_367&products_id=2495
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Those gapped 9" straights add up pretty quick if you're isolating many sidings. While a corded or battery powered Dremel tool can be had for an MSRP of $49 and can be had cheaper with a little shopping around. And the cutoff disks can put gaps in curves where there many not be room to add a 9" straight section. Plus the Dremel has a lot of other uses, especially for kit bashing and carving rock formations.

Len

jward

$47 for a track to do what a an insulating joiner does? About $5 for a pack of 24 vs $ 47 for one? Honestly, you could buy a Dremel and a pack of cutoff disks for less than that. It's your money. however model railroading has always been a DIY hobby. It pays to learn how to do things for yourself and spend the money saved on things like engines, cars and buildings.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I showed him another option just like you guys did. Not everyone wants to hack up their track.
I know what it's like trying to get the rail joiners off E-Z Track. It doesn't always work without pulling some of the rail loose. The insulated joiners are thicker than the metal ones. It has been my experience that I've had to carve out plastic under the rail to get them to fit.
The $47 is for two of them. They are sold in pairs. If you would have clicked on the link you would know that.
When was the last time any of you paid Bachmann's MSRP for anything? On various train places, they are $25 to $30 for the two of them.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Terry,

Not trying to start an arguement, but my experience is more often than not gaps are needed in places where a 9" straight will not work. If EZ-Track rail joiners were easier to remove, other size straight or curved sections could be used with insulated joiners. Unfortunately, that's not the case. So I use the Dremel with a cut off disk. And it's not like the gapped section is destroyed for future use. If the layout changes, it's easy enough to solder a jumper across the gap to restore continuity.

Maybe Bachmann should look at making shorter gapped straights and 1/2 or 1/3 gapped curved sections of track. That would open more possibilities than just the 9" straight gapped section.

Len

jward

I'd just like to point out that EZ Track is the only track system that NEEDS a special gap track. The others use those insulating joiners that sell for about $5 for two dozen.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

plas man

Quote from: jward on April 19, 2021, 04:03:47 PM
I'd just like to point out that EZ Track is the only track system that NEEDS a special gap track. The others use those insulating joiners that sell for about $5 for two dozen.

way back in time manufacturers (UK) Hornby Dublo - Trix and Tri-ang all had isolating rails in their track systems , able to be connected to a on/off switch

if using insulating rail joiners just get the right code of track to rail joiner