New Bachmann Large Scale 4-6-0 Chassis Identification list.

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, April 24, 2021, 01:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Adam,

Thanks for the coupler info and the plug info,  These will be good identifiers.

You are welcome for thanking me for my service, I always appreciate hearing it!! 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

I'm wondering if that brown coupler will be black in production...

Yes the PNP with the socket in the tender must have a multi-wire connector, just too much "stuff" to connect to.

Well, we are now waiting on seeing a real production one..

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

tedyarbrough

Greg,
The production locos are the ones on display at the convention. They have the rust colored front coupler. They have two multi wire connectors between loco and tender just like the K and C class Bachmann productions.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Loco Bill Canelos

My info from the Bach-man also noted the PNP Big Hauler 4-6-0 were production models flown in for the convention.  I want to thank all who helped pointing out all the visual differences on the PNP Big Hauler 4-6-0.  This is a great forum thanks to the comradeship and friendly advice and help.  It has the best code of conduct around as well. 

I have updated the first post to the latest 4-6-0 Chassis ID info.  I have also updated the official version in the FAQ:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

I am very happy with the ability to visually identify all the various chassis versions.  If you see any errors please let me know!

Bill

rowdyjoe

Hello Big Hauler fans. 
My Big Hauler is a V2, I think (#90011), that runs fine, very smooth too but, a bit noisy.  It has had very little use over the years and the drive train is very clean with the factory grease still on it.  No damage or wear could be seen when I opened up the bottom to check the chuff sensor.  BTW, I can turn the drive wheels manually.

If I wanted to put a new chassis under old #49, which one should I buy.  None of the model numbers on the Bachman web site match my model number (90011).  The version 5 (or later) chassis appear to have some desirable updates.  I have plans to put much more time on the old #49 in the future as I'm mulling over a garden railroad installation. 

Thanks,
RJ

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Joe,

Yes you do have a version 2 chassis, and glad it it is still running.  Good news is that any of the chassis for sale will fit your loco just fine.  There is some good detailed advice in the following thread: 

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Read it thru and you should have all you need to get the job done!   Of course if after reading it you still have questions definitely come back to the forum here and ask them.   

Either this one: 

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_671_669&products_id=5863

or thyis one:

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_671_669&products_id=4094

will work fine.

Have fun with your project!!! 

Loco Bill

rowdyjoe

Hello Bill,
    Thanks for the reply and thanks for all of the great info you've provided to the forum concerning these great locos.  There's so much great info provided that it's overwhelmed the "hard drive" between my ears.  I'll have to keep that post handy with a bookmark.  :) 
     I watched a YouTube video recently that describes replacing the chassis on a Loco just like mine.  I was especially interested in it because the author mentioned that it had metal valve gear and side rods. I got really excited about installing one (a V6?) into my loco.  Sadly, when I looked at the Bachman site, there were none to be had.   However, in your June 27 post, I notice that you mentioned new/upcoming versions V5A, V5B, and V7.  I'm in no real hurry since my #49 is still in excellent condition but, if a new series of chassis with metal valve gear and/or upgraded motor & drive train come available I'd like to grab one.  Any news about the possibility of those coming available?   

Thanks again,
RJ
(aka Garry)

rowdyjoe

Wow !  Thanks Adam.  Those are beauties.  Looks like the 81095 will be the best match with my 90011 paint scheme.  I love the looks of those  chassis with the metal side rods and valve gear.  I'm placing one on order as soon as I finish this post.

Garry 

Loco Bill Canelos

Garry, 

I was about to suggest an ANNIE chassis as well, but with the suggestion that you look at the differences in adapting your old body shell to the Annie chassis which is covered in the earlier post I sent you.  Check out the things you will have to deal with and your project will be easier.   The chassis you selected will give you years of great service.  Most of all have fun with the project and do not hesitate to contact us on the forum if you need help.  We have many great members like Adam who are always willing to help!!!!

Bill

rowdyjoe

Greg Elmassian

Bump post to bring to top so perhaps administrators will make sticky...

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Ken Sanders

Hi I'm brand new to G scale railroading.  I just bought several used 4-6-0's and need some parts.  The store is sold out of front trucks .  Anyone know wher I can purchase some?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Ken,

Welcome to our world!

Not sure how many you bought but I would suggest you start by taking parts off one to fix up one of the others.  You did not say if they were in running condition. If one was a version 5 chassis and the others were not I would fix the Version 5 loco first.  Complete Chassis are still available. Also some loco shells as well.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_671_669&products_id=5863

The most common way is to buy a parts loco(or two) on Ebay.  You might find one at a train show, or if you have a local train club join them for the best local information. 

I do suggest you always buy a version 5 chassis, as the older versions were somewhat problematic.

Again welcome!!!