HO side tank,0-6-0, steam engine with DCC want to convert to DCC/Sound how?

Started by Barry Karlberg, April 25, 2021, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

Not sure where/how to check for info. on previous posts so apologize if this subject has already been discussed. Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

Barry Karlberg

Well, no one was able to help with this modification so I sent my engine to a friend who put in a Sound Trax decoder, a keep alive and new bulbs with a hefty price.

I await the mail arrival on Tuesday and will post a photo of the completed locomotive.

Have a happy and a meaningful Memorial Day.

Barry

Barry Karlberg

Thanks to MR Bob I now have Sound installed in a Bachmann DCC, 0-6-0T. Bob reminded me that he would never do this again in his lifetime as it was a challenge replacing the existing decoder with a sound one and adding a keep alive. As it turned out in order to make things fit he needed to carve away a bit of the cab interior/firebox but the finished product shows no difference. She runs nice and smooth and the sound is great (very loud at 100 vs 255).

If you are interested, here are the specs. for the modification: the decoder was Soundtraxx  Tsunami 2, model TSU-1100, part number 884006 steam-2.The current keeper was a Soundtraxx Current KeeperII , part number 810160. Speaker was a LokSound part number 50321 sugar cube style speaker.
The current keeper is a square configuration rather than a long rectangular shape, alternate choice could have been a TCS, smaller but still would have had to alter the cab interior some, and I think the TCS has a longer "stay alive" time.

Barry

Terry Toenges

I'm glad you were successful in getting it done. It sounds like it was quite a challenge.
Feel like a Mogul.