Long Term Effect Running DCC Units on DC Layout

Started by Fanatic5, April 26, 2021, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fanatic5

This probably has been covered in the past, but I am new to the DCC field. I just received three new Bachmann Soundtraxx DCC locomotives. I was told they run with limitations on a DC layout. I plan on keeping my DC layout for the near future, however, will there be any long term issues with the performance of these units if you keep running them on DC? I have MRC Tech II power supplies.
They are beautiful models and I would ultimately convert to DCC if that is the best decision going forward.
Thank you.

jonathan

Fanatic,

I have a DC layout.  I also have a number of DCC Sound onboard locomotives.

I have run them on my DC layout with no ill effects.

Caveats:

This is just a once-in-a-while thing for me.  Usually, I reserve my DCC locos for the club DCC layout.  Right now, we're not running a club layout or using our mobile layout at train shows.

99% of the time, I run my DC locos on the DC layout.  I do like to run my sounders now and then on my DC layout, but it's usually for just a few minutes, perhaps once-a-month or so.

Don't know of any long-term affects if you run them daily on DC.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

The only thing I've noted when running DCC equiped locos on a DC layout is you have to turn the throttle up higher before they start moving due to the voltage loss through the decoder. No ill effects otherwise.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Fanatic5

Thank you for the feedback. I was concerned that "cranking" up the voltage on my DC power supply may cause some harm.

Maletrain

There have been some arguments between another decoder manufacturer and MRC about whether some MRC (particularly MRC Tech II version) DC controllers damage their decoders.  I have not heard anything about decoders used in Bachmann locomotives, relative to MRC DC power packs.  But, I have had some decoders in Bachmann locos go bad even when running DCC on an NCE command station.

So, all I can say for sure is that I would not do much DC running with DCC equipped locos.