News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Brill Trolley

Started by railroadnut, May 01, 2021, 04:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railroadnut

I plan on running trolley in / out of a trolley barn as part of an automated trolley line on my layout. Just planing at present so I want to made sure I allow enough headroom on the barn door. Does anybody know the height of the Brill trolley, from rail to body top? Also the height to clear the trolley poles.
Thanks

duker1246

From the bottom of the wheels to top of room is 1" and from bottom of wheels to top of the cable arm is 1 1/2". Be advised that the Hayes bumper is not where the trolley actually stops; but further up because the B sections are not powered.

railroadnut

Thanks for the info. Now I have an aesthetics question. This trolley will be running back and forth, not using reverse loops. Which do you thing would be less obvious. Having both poles up  (like on the Bachmann Brill) or removing the poles completely?I plan on using the Kato wire support poles to give the illusion of having the trolley wire.
Thanks

duker1246

You are welcome!
My layout is set in 50's-60's era so I am using some old style brown poles that have the catenary wire arms so I have the poles in up position like they are active when running.

railroadnut

Thank you.
I guess my question was worded strange. What I was wondering, since the trolley reverses direction, if one pole is up in the correct position for running forward, it will be the wrong pole up when running reverse. I have no way to switch which pole is up. The Bachmann Brill has both poles up, which is not actually correct.

So which  incorrect way would be more noticeable : Both poles up or no poles up?

Steve

duker1246

Never looked at it that way. I have both poles up since no way to raise and lower the poles when direction changed. And besides if auto reverse than not enough time between next run start to lower one or the other pole.

railroadnut

OK. Actually, poles down would be a help, since I would have to raise the wire support poles to make sure the trolley poles don't hit. Also, the building I want to use as a car barn only has a 1 1/4" high door (made for a boxcar) and I would need to modify the door (no big deal though). Maybe just put them slightly up to give the impression, but still clear everything.

Thanks for the input.
Steve

duker1246