News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 44 ton Switcher

Started by garyd, May 04, 2021, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyd

i have 3 Spectrum 44 ton The Master Switchers, two of them are brand new still in the box from years gone by, and the 3rd has seen better days anyway i was wondering what decoder i could put in these units sound or not, but i cant seem to find out what these units draw for amperage and having two motors and trucks in them i thinking there maybe a problem since there is limited space. So help here would be greatly appreciated

jonathan

Gary,

I just did a quick search on the interwebs.  :)

There are many youtube videos, showing how to install sound/non-sound decoders in both the double motor and single motor 44-tonners.

A number of brands were used, including soundtraxx, Digitrax (DZ123), Zimo (whatever that is), and others.

I have never put a decoder in my 44-ton, so I can't speak from experience, but the information is out there.

Regards,

Jonathan

garyd

thanks for the response, had a quick look at you tube the ones i seen show an install different decoders thru out but none show the how it all finishes just the finished result not how they got there, thats what i need to know but thanks for the help so far, i will go thru you tube again and see if i missed one but so far a lot of them are the single motor. 

Have a Great and Safe Day

Gary

jward

It should be noted that the DZ 123 is a 1 amp economy Z scale decoder. I've used them in Bachmann HO 0-6-0s without problems. There is a DZ126 which fits the same space but offers Back EMF. That would come in handy for a low speed switcher like the 44ton.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

TCS has a 'how to' for installing a decoder inthe 44-Tonner on their web site:

https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/1215

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

garyd

thanks the decoder information is good to know, i soon i will have enough information that i can make an informed decision on how and what i am going to do.  But for now  i will just keep looking

thanks Gary