News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-2 Baldwin Trench Loco minimum radius

Started by AussieOn30, May 10, 2021, 06:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieOn30

Hi everyone - New member and my first post here.  Can anyone inform me what the minimum radius the On30 2-6-2 Baldwin Trench Loco will comfortably run around.  Currently I have an 18" radius on my layout.  I live in Australia and wanting to order one from the States – it's a long trip back to the store if it doesn't work on my layout

Ton N

AussieOn30

Yep - that looks like it will work on tight curves....thanks heaps

Biglars

If anyone has questions that is one of my videos.

p51

One thing people never think to ask when asking how tight a radius a loco will go through, is how tight will it go through with cars coupled to it?
I always assumed the trench engine would navigate a very tight curve but I had no way to know as my minimum layout curve is about 20 inches on one siding and around 22-24 inches on the main. But even with a shorty Bachmann car, would it go through that 10 inch curve without derailing?
-Lee

Ton N

Quote from: Biglars on June 09, 2021, 07:21:43 PM

And Biglars does it? Does it run on 10 inch radii with 18 ft cars?

Ton

Biglars

Quote from: Ton N on June 10, 2021, 03:20:30 PM
Quote from: Biglars on June 09, 2021, 07:21:43 PM

And Biglars does it? Does it run on 10 inch radii with 18 ft cars?

Ton

I have Chopper couplers on this loco (like in WW1) all my 18' cars have knuckled couplers. I did not want to swap out couplers for the test. 18" cars will go around the same radius pulled and pushed by a Heisler. They they are around the same length locomotive.