News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 4x8 dual train layouts

Started by chancealan, December 31, 2007, 12:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chancealan

Are there any good websites / links / books that have detailed layouts that fit on 4x8 boards that support two trains running off of two power packs?   ???  I have used the standard long oval inside another long oval, but was wondering how to improve upon that.  I was trying to stay away from the figure 8's.  Maybe something with some switches to other railways or maybe just to dead ends?  Thanks, Brian  :)

I currently have this layout on a 4x9 using 3 trains. (2 ovals, 1 circle)

Len

Both Kalmbach and Atlas have a number of books and brochures available with small layouts (4x6 & 4&8) allowing two train operation.

You can also download the free RTS software from the Atlas web page and plan your own layout. The only major differences between the Atlas track geometry and EZ-Track is the 30deg crossing, and the starting point of the curved diverging rail in the remote switches. But that's fairly minor.

You can get a quick look at the sectional track layouts in the Atlas books at:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/index.htm

Some additional layouts using Tru-Track, similar to EZ-Track are at:

http://www.atlasrr.com/WebTrue-Track/index.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

grumpy

On my layout the innner track is DC and the outer is DCC.
Don

chancealan

Those layouts on AtlasRR looked pretty cool.  Can you run two DC trains on them at the same time?

As you can see by my current layout, they are seperate tracks with seperate DC power packs.

Can I connect those two systems together with switches and still be able to run the trains seperately?  I don't think I can do that with DC trains.

I just don't get how to make more of my layout with just DC trains that have their seperate rail systems.  I was looking for layouts designs that had seperate, independent rail lines that fit on a 4x8 / 4x9.

The layout in my picture has 3 seperate trains.
Where can I find designs like that?

Thanks for your help.
The Board has been a great asset to create my current layout.

SteamGene

If you divide your layout into blocks, you can run two trains at the same time.  Some MRC power packs come with two throttles - or did - making it possible to run two trains in different directions.
Merry Seventh Day of Christmas
Happy New Year
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

prebres

SteamGene is right! Use insulated rail joiners to electrically separate sections of track. Then you can use two throttles or more and have one train running on each block. Also you can move one train between many blocks. BUT! beware of the turnouts! If they have powered frogs you may be in trouble.

Len

Chance,

Both the Atlas and Kalmbach books explain how to create electrical blocks for DC operation of two, or more, trains. It's actually not that hard to start out with DC, and then add a DCC controller either. Even with DCC the electrical blocks can help isolate problems.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

If you are tring to run two train at the same time on the same track on a 4 by 8 layout, forget it. 

even with dcc, it is too small.  Now you could have two trains and have one in a siding stopped waiting for the other train.  Now with two tracks you are ok.  With two tracks you can have sidings of the center track and do switching while the outside trains goes around and around.  I am not saying it can't be done, because it can, but it would not be a joy to run. 

chancealan

Thanks everyone for your replies!

As you can see in my original track photo,
I have 2 DC trains running on a 4x9 board.
I wasn't looking for a DCC changeover or
instructions on how to block the track sections.
Though if I decide to do that, you have several great ideas.

I was simply looking for more layout designs for
2 DC railways on a 4x8 or 4x9 board.
Thinking that DC was the only type of train at one point,
that there maybe a resource of layouts for my situation.

Thanks again for all your input.
I will continue to seek advice from the Board!

Brian Foster
Hermitage, PA

railbuffintx78559

Check out my layout I designed.  It is a triple-track DCC model railroad using Bachmann EZ-track.  The curves are the following from the inside out: 15-, 18-. and 22-inch radii, plus spurs for industries.

~Dennis~

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: chancealan on January 02, 2008, 07:36:50 PM

I think you have a very nice layout now, Brian. Thanks for sharing the pics.  :)

mikec069

railbuff;
You said
QuoteCheck out my layout I designed.  It is a triple-track DCC model railroad using Bachmann EZ-track.  The curves are the following from the inside out: 15-, 18-. and 22-inch radii, plus spurs for industries.

I'd love to but the pic didn't quite make it.  ;D I'm always looking for new layout ideas.  Try the pic again.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: grumpy on December 31, 2007, 02:41:16 PM
On my layout the innner track is DC and the outer is DCC.
Don
I also have a similar layout under construction. It is more or less a dog-bone with the outer layout for larger engines with wider curves and the inner layout for smaller engines including shays using smaller curves. The layout out is basic a 8' x 12' x 8' U shape.

Part of the reason for the DC and DCC is that it will be some time before I have decoders in all of my engines. This allows me to be able to use all of the roster during the interim. It is my intention to switch to an all DCC at some later time.
Pacific Northern

grumpy

My reasoning was basically the same. To go one cautious step farther I purchased a Bachman EZ Command which was very inexpensive and simple to install and operate. I now want to  join the two together but first I must decide on the what DCC system I will replace the EZ Command with.
Don

Pacific Northern

Quote from: grumpy on January 12, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
My reasoning was basically the same. To go one cautious step farther I purchased a Bachman EZ Command which was very inexpensive and simple to install and operate. I now want to  join the two together but first I must decide on the what DCC system I will replace the EZ Command with.
Don
ditto here,
A friend of mine went to their lhs and bought me a new DCC system to replace the Bachmann - unfortunately the lhs neglected to tell my friend that the unit was very old stock and did not have many of the new features - it is an MRC Prodigy. Tried to get a credit for it but the lhs refused. Have not told my friend as it was a case of pure rip off and do not want them to know they got taken....
Pacific Northern