Started by John Ramsden, December 31, 2007, 02:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Ramsden

Mr. B:

Which K's come with a plow.
John

the Bach-man

Dear J,
83094 and 83099 are the versions that have plows.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

glennk28

Can those of us who got other numbers get plows?  Even if we have to buy one?  gj

Matthew (OV)

83096 (the post wreck 455) has one too.

Previous discussion has indicated that the plow is part of the pilot.... and not something easily changed (which makes them a lot like their 1:1 counterparts, where changing the pilot is a large shop job; the plow is often left on year round as a result!)

Perhaps you could find someone with a plow version who would trade pilots with you ... for example, someone with a 464 who wanted the road pilot?

Matthew (OV)

the Bach-man

Dear Glenn,
I hope we will have plows available at some point. I'll keep you posted.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

glennk28

Just the regular plow--not the one like 463 had at the end of service--That WOULD be quite a plow--that's the one that came up below the headlight--

Charlie Mutschler

There are a variety of plows used on the D&RGW K's.  The big, headlight high bucker plow last used on 463 would need to be scratch built.  Most of the D&RGW pilot plows covered the ends of the pilot beam (or it was shortened to fit inside the plow), but check the photo of 481 at Alamosa on p.135 of Grandt's NG Pictorial Vol. 11.  Note that the plow had been modified with cut outs for the ends of the pilot beam.  See also p.144 for 486 at Gunnison in 1952, and p. 165 for 493 at Durango in 1962.  I don't think I've seen any photos of Mudhens with the plows with the pilot beam cut outs, but I'm going to look more thoroughly tonight. 

Any way you look at it, the K-27 looks like a real winner, as the research seems to have been very thorough.  I'll be looking forward to checking mine out when it arrives.  Thanks in advance.  Cheerfully anticipating,
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

r.cprmier

Charlie;
I recall seeing pics of that, and it did catch my eye.  What also caught my eye was the concrete "fill" they used on the plough for weight.  I bet they needed every scrid of weight they could lay their hands on.  Those Colorado mountain snowstorms can be brutal.
There is an anti-horseplay sign on one of the risers on the the "Skye Peak" lift at Killington in Vermont:  "These woods are as cold and lonely as they were two hundred years ago".  Always gave ME a chill!  Sort of like the boonies out at Colorado.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

glennk28

Since the plows are an integral part of the loco--not readily changeable as some of the On3 locos--it sounds like Sam at Kadee is going to want to see mine as well as John's--MRN got a #464--he mentioned the pilot coupler but I didn't realize from that how it is made.   Had a call from my dealer--sounds like mine should be here Monday--I-5 weather permitting---gj

r.cprmier

Received mine today; wouldn't you know, some moron packed one of them upside down!  Life truely is amazing!

That DVD is really nice.  It really gives a concise description of set-up and maintenence, as well as some really nice photos.  That is quite a garden layout!

RIch

Rich

glennk28

that upside-down one must have been intended for Australia!   8^)

r.cprmier

that upside-down one must have been intended for Australia!   8^)

Whatcha think there, Tim and Mark?  Paul Hogan wasn't in the box either...

RIch
Rich