News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BoCo or Diesel 10

Started by TrainFan97, June 05, 2021, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

In the Bachmann Daisy thread, I had been talking about BoCo and Diesel 10 a lot, so I thought I should just give this topic its own thread.

Here, we can discuss who the next long bogie diesel in HO Scale range should be, since Bachmann Daisy brought those engines into the picture. I've narrowed the choices down to BoCo and Diesel 10, since they seem the most possible, while Class 40 and Derek were one-off characters, and the Chinese Diesel and Noor Jehan were international engines from the infamous "Big World Big Adventures" era.

Regarding Diesel 10, I know what you're thinking. Many people, including myself, have pointed out countless times that his claw breeches NMRA standards, but we never had the time to really THINK about it. I now have a counterargument for Diesel 10's claw. Bachmann has done non-Thomas breakdown cranes and electric engines with pantographs that stick out the top, and the NMRA didn't stop Bachmann there. I'm sure Bachmann could figure out a way to get Diesel 10's claw incorporated. Of course, the claw would have to be manually operated, but that's no problem. Bachmann making Diesel 10 could also open up the window for Harvey, but Diesel 10 is big enough to have both the claw and eye mechanism. Diesel 10's claw could even be removable if it has to. He would be the first engine in the Bachmann Thomas range to have a movable part other than eyes. I heard Bachmann did consider Diesel 10 many years ago, but it never actually came into fruition. Now that we have Daisy, Bachmann should reconsider Diesel 10, and see if he ever will get made. Apart from Daisy, Diesel 10 is the only other long bogie diesel to appear in the CGI series who isn't international. He's also the only Magic Railroad-originated character to appear in the CGI series. Though, he would need a completely different chassis from Daisy. The claw could also make Diesel 10 a little more expensive, but high prices didn't stop Skarloey from being a huge hit. Diesel 10 would be a huge seller if he is possible. If not, there is another option...

...BoCo! I know he never appeared in the CGI series, nor the show itself in over two decades, but he is a nostalgic character. BoCo's rear bogie could be modified slightly from Daisy's, but he would need a six-wheeled bogie at the front. BoCo would be Bachmann's first ever diesel to have a "Co-Bo" configuration. At this moment, the pre-CGI character with the most demand is Stepney, and if Stepney does get announced, it should really help to raise BoCo's chances. If fans are vocal enough about wanting BoCo, and the demand is high enough, Bachmann could acknowledge his demand like they did for Stepney. Both of them are characters that have been requested for many years. BoCo shouldn't be too hard for Bachmann to make, since his overall shape is a box, and he's not too terribly detailed either. BoCo would also be a huge seller from Bachmann.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon the 2nd

I'm personally not a big fan of Diesel 10, mostly for the fact that Mattel has milked him in almost every toy line they've produced/managed despite appearing very rarely. I do acknowledge that he is a generally consistent request and that he may not be completely impossible to make, but I just feel like announcing Diesel 10 as the next long diesel engine would be somewhat predictable and that Bachmann is better off continuing to make their Thomas line distinct from the toys sold in the mainstream markets. I would most likely opt not to purchase a model of him if it were made.

Boco, on the other hand, I would most certainly see myself purchasing on the chance that he is made. Granted, Stepney has a lot more demand between him and Boco, but Boco is still a very good option to keep considering once Stepney is announced. Both characters have not had any merchandise in a long time, and to have Bachmann produce both in the same line would be a treat considering how much trouble most of the side characters have gone through in recent years of Thomas merchandise.

If I had the choice for another long diesel engine, it would be Boco. But of course, everyone has their own say on the matter and I respect those who choose differently with Diesel 10.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

BGM Reviews

As cool as it would be to see Diesel 10 made, I don't see him happening.  Then again, I didn't think we'd ever get Daisy.

Personally I'd rather see BoCo first anyway as then we'd have every locomotive from the first three seasons in HO scale. (even if Oliver is based on his CGI version)

BoCo also seems in higher demand behind Stepney, so that could be a factor in him being a future product.  Daisy also opens up the possibility for Diesels with bogies/trucks for other future releases.

So again, I'd love both but BoCo over Diesel 10 in my opinion.

TrainFan97

While it's not certain if Diesel 10 ever will be made because of his claw, Bachmann has been known to surprise us at times. For example, we thought we'd never get the Narrow Gauge range, and we never thought we'd actually get Daisy in HO Scale. Bachmann making Diesel 10 would absolutely defy the expectations of those who thought he was impossible, including myself.

Looks like BoCo is the clear winner for the next bogie diesel in the HO Scale range. Both he and Stepney have never appeared in the CGI series, and got no merchandise in quite a long time. Bachmann making both Stepney and BoCo would certainly make them stand out from the toy ranges, as Mattel has made plenty of merchandise of Diesel 10, even though he rarely appeared in the show. BoCo would not be a difficult engine for Bachmann to make, since his overall shape is a box, and he's not that highly detailed either.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Angelob6660

I would like to get BoCo to finish off the diesel roster after Daisy. He with the Twins and Edward to recreate stories. The twins having Fun mischief poking around the only diesel alongside their branch line. Just in time for Edward or BoCo putting a stop in their place.

I'm a not fan of Diesel 10, but if they decide to make him with a moveable claw or stationary one. I'll probably decide 50/50 chance of getting him.

I doubt my answer will change on getting Diesel 10.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

TrainFan97

It's great to see that the demand for BoCo is starting to show. If we're more vocal about it for a good long time like we were with Stepney, Bachmann could acknowledge BoCo's demand as well, and consider him for the future in the HO Scale range. While Stepney has the most demand, BoCo isn't really that far behind. Once BoCo gets made, the HO Scale range will have all engines from Seasons 1-3.

BoCo will clearly be better-received than Diesel 10, and he will also sell a lot better too. BoCo would complete your Edward's Branch Line layout, and he would go great with Bill and Ben. BoCo should definitely be prioritized over Diesel 10. Unlike Stepney, BoCo never even got a Hornby model, and he will be a huge hit from Bachmann, just like Skarloey, Oliver, and the upcoming Daisy model.

SNER

Hey all! New to the forums, I thought I'd join in the discussion!

The best choice for Bachmann to make after Daisy is... Bear! He shares the same chassis as CGI/RWS Daisy - being a BoBo!

Kidding aside, my pick for the next diesel is BoCo. My collection mostly sticks to Season 1-4, since I grew up with those and the RWS. If we get Stepney then BoCo, we have the full standard gauge roster! (Minus Class 40, but do you really want him? Dude doesn't even have a real name. ... I'd probably still buy him though.)

I also would really like a Diesel 10 too. I like the Warship basis and have even considered getting a red one shipped from the UK and just say Diesel 10 got a repaint and lost his claw.
Regarding his claw, did you know D10 appears in a book, "Diesel 10 Means Trouble", and early concept art without it? It was supposed to pop out of his roof. I don't know how practical it is, but it would be cool if Bachmann was able to make that work without ugly seam lines when running without the claw. Or maybe have like a small, weak, magnet glued inside the roof? Weak enough to not affect the motor, naturally.

Also, regarding Stepney being next, I do have a question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hornby and Dapol (or was it another UK company?) make Terriers last year and noticeable NOT a Stepney? I expect Stepney to be an easy cash grab in a Terrier range, being one of the first standard gauge UK steam engines preserved and the T&F popularity, despite being faceless.
So, I'm wondering if there's some sort of licensing needed from the Bluebell, and maybe they got protective after Alcroft tried suing them for running Stepney in the 90s for looking like a T&F character (despite real Stepney being first), or maybe they aren't letting merchandise being made, as real-Stepney currently isn't running due to needing an extensive overhaul.
SNER = Stephen's North Eastern Railway - a parody of LNER.

GordonPacific04

Very interesting Question, as I would honestly be fine with both.

Boco is a classic character, the thing keeping him back is that he's only appeared in the model series, however many people will probably still argue that that doesn't mean he's not a possibility.

Diesel 10 is just plain cool looking. He's appeared in the CGI series and is very marketable. (although I won't be happy about the CGI face, but that's a topic for another thread).

thomasj219

Well, I for one would love both. BoCo would have to be my first choice. Iconic. Diesel 10 I would buy in a heartbeat too, although I hope they would use his model series face and make the claw manually movable. Bandai style.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

TrainFan97

If Diesel 10 gets made with a CGI face (he undoubtedly will), and if you're bothered by it, you could just use a 3D-printed Shapeways face (if one was to exist) to swap it out.

BoCo would be better-received if he was done first, but Diesel 10 could be made because of the fact that he's a very marketable character, and he was actually in the CGI series. The claw should be manually operated. To make it centered when not in use, they can just make it to where it won't swing easily, and require something to turn it, like fingers. Another idea is clicking at certain rotation points. There are many ideas for how Bachmann could get the claw to work.

Diesel 10 being made would mean no more having to repaint the Class 42 Warship model and having to mount a claw to the top. Both BoCo and Diesel 10 are great choices for the next long bogie diesel in the HO Scale range after Daisy. Can't wait to see which one Bachmann actually does announce first. It's all thanks to Bachmann Daisy for bringing diesels like this into the picture.

ScrumptiouslySouthern

I'm of two minds on D10.
Pros:
-with pinchy, the playability could exceed other models in the ttte range.
-fairly well liked character.
-has proven to be a viable character by the fact that he continues to receive new toys despite rarely appearing in media.
-would help to extend the diesels available beyond the 08's, seeing that as of Salty's discontinuation there is only Mavis and now Daisy.
Cons
-the cost (while its entirely Bachmann's choice to inflate said costs on all these models) would be astronomical, probably even more than Spencer.
-pinchy could be a bit problematic, and would need a ratcheted swivel so that the joint doesn't degrade and loosen over time.

My Greedy Little Wish List: BoCo, Stepney, Porter, & Sir Handel

FfarquharStudios

BoCo all The Way I Think D10's Claw Would Be Alot Of Work For Bachmann To make while BoCo is Way more simpler im very confident that now that we have Daisy on the way BoCo will be made . . But now with Stepney heres what i don't understand about Bachmann . . Stepney is a very popular Character but yet they decided to go with Ryan who to be Honest i dont even know . . I dont know any CGI characters i was gone after Series 12 lol . . Anyway I believe Bachmann should have went with Stepney & Smudger wayyy before even having a thought about Ryan or Yellow Rheneas to me thats just a waste Bachmann goes with CGI characters simply because thats whats current but the Model Era Of Thomas Is What Made Thomas Special In The First Place I Wish Bachmann would just listen to the fans and take our preferences more serious Oliver needs to be rescaled, given a White Running board with bigger wheels, Smudger instead of Yellow Rheneas, & *Stepney* instead of Ryan.

Armada Starscream

Why not if Bachmann does both?

IMO, I think Bachmann should invest even more into their Thomas range, given it's popularity and the fact that due to staying away from the reboot, and listening to the fans, Bachmann is probably going to have the best Thomas Merchandise in the next few years, they should really capitalize on that and release more products!

Maybe they could do something like release both one Classic Series character, (like BoCo, Stepney, Derek, Harvey, Arthur, and Murdoch, among others) and one more modern character (Like Stanley, Sidney, Porter, Sonny, and I suppose Nia, and Rebecca, among others) alongside each other? I do enjoy several CGI characters, like Paxton, Ryan and Sonny, and I am VERY psyched for the upcoming Ryan model, so why not dip into both sides at the same time?

Another thing Bachmann should consider when deciding on a character would be the ability for their Thomas Models to be repainted into non-Thomas models. For example, there is currently no HO/OO scale models of Whiff's basis Aerolite or Sonny's basis Bellerophon. Given that there is a great interest among modelers in retooling and repainting Bachmann's Skarloey and Rheneas models into Talyllyn and Dolgoch, they should also consider whether a potential model of Whiff or Sonny would be of interest to a non-Thomas modeler for conversion into Aerolite or Bellerophon?

Mulfred100

For me out of the two it would be BoCo all the way. I have said it many times I'm not a fan of Magic railroad so any characters from that film I have 0 interest in owning such as Diesel 10, Lady or Splodge. However I can throw out two alternatives who actually have tooling available from Bachmann and would just require a couple of adjustments and a new paint job.
Firstly
Class 40 aka The Diesel

For all Class 40 only appeared in one season 4 episode he has still become a fan favourite and would be a nice edition along side Stepney in the range similar to Ryan and Daisy or Duck and Diesel. He has had alot of merchandise over the years from ertl-take and play and of course Hornby which of course is now Discontinued

Sadly the main problem with the Hornby version is that he was incorrectly modelled as a Class 37 not 40 and these days Hornby prices are climbing all the time. Now Bachmann have several Class 40 models in production here in the uk range (similar to how they sourced Toad's tooling)

They do carry a pretty hefty price tag however they do come with DDC and lights and sounds. Now a stripped back version of this with the correct paint and moving eyes modelled in the correct Class is something I'm sure fans would appreciate. Imagine him at a train show sitting on the shelf next too Stepney.
The second character I want to bring up is
Derek

Now although there isn't as much merchandise behind Derek, he is a fan favourite character and he is a character alot of people want to recreate. He is a class 17 which Bachmann again has that tooling available.

Now the Class 17 is a cheaper model and probably easier for Bachmann to produce and sell. Also probably alot easier to strip the model back and give it that Thomas feel with the moving eyes and even tho everyone will moan at me for this, tinted silver windows. He would go great along side Bill and Ben and definitely be a nice new Diesel in the range breaking up the Class 08 trend. In fact given Derek is a Bo Bo Diesel the same as CGI Daisy I'm sure there's a chance they can utilise parts off her. This of course is just me throwing ideas out there. 

Falcon the 2nd

Funnily enough, I actually thought of Derek as a next-best choice if Boco isn't an option. He does happen to share the same number of wheels as Daisy and his basis wouldn't be too difficult to replicate. The only major drawback is that he appeared in just one episode, but that hasn't stopped anyone from requesting Smudger so far. Much like Boco, Derek hasn't received any merchandise in a long time and he would go nicely with Bill & Ben. It would be a treat to see either character made if Bachmann wanted to make another longer diesel.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van