News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BoCo or Diesel 10

Started by TrainFan97, June 05, 2021, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

With Daisy as the first long bogied diesel in the line, I definitely concur that it would be beneficial to add at least one more to the Thomas lineup of HO locomotives.

My first preference would definitely be BoCo. Out of all the possible candidates, BoCo feels like the most natural addition. He would blend in wonderfully with many of the other engines Bachmann had made in the past, especially Gordon, Edward, Bill, Ben, and Duck. Plus, along with Stepney, he is one of the few classic series engine characters that Bachmann has not made. However, the number one reason why I think that he would be an excellent addition to the HO Thomas lineup of locomotives is that he is a long bogied diesel that is meant to pull long freight trains, unlike Daisy and Diesel 10.

Seeing that the upcoming Daisy model is retailing for $149, I think that BoCo would be financially feasible as well. The only thing stopping Bachmann from announcing BoCo in the coming years is the licensor. We can only hope that they would agree to this, as newer CGI characters such as Ryan are underwhelming for many older Thomas fans who collect the Bachmann Thomas line. They unfortunately lack the nostalgic value that candidates such as Stepney and BoCo have. Overall, although Stepney is still the number one engine that I hope to see enter the Thomas line next, I would be just as ecstatic to see BoCo announced.

The next bogied diesel I wanted to mention before Diesel 10 is Derek. Like BoCo, he is a long, bogied diesel that is meant to pull freight trains, which would be something unique for the Thomas line. Yet, the two factors that he has over BoCo are a slightly more interesting design, as the center of his body shell peaks and that he is slightly shorter than BoCo. Thus, if Bachmann wanted to tackle an engine with a slightly more interesting design and smaller, Derek would be the way to go! I must mention that Double Teething Troubles is one of my favorite episodes from the television series too.

Finally, Diesel 10 is a candidate that I would not be opposed to and see as a final resort. If the licensor is still pushing for engines from the computer generated era of the television series, even with the upcoming reboot, then Diesel 10 is the way to go. The claw does raise some concerns in terms of pricing, scaling, and design. However, I'm sure that fans across the board would be pleased to see a Diesel 10 model. All in all, considering that he is an engine that appeared in the model era of the show as well, I would be interested in purchasing one for myself too.

Overall, model era engines and designs will always excite me much more than newer CGI ones, but any of these long bogied diesel suggestions would be welcome additions to the Bachmann Thomas range of locomotives.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

Looks like Derek is another interesting choice, though he hasn't had anywhere near as much demand as BoCo. Derek would open up the window for other one-off characters, including Class 40.

Much like Stepney, BoCo is another character who's had a lot of demand for many years, though not as much as Stepney. BoCo would be a great choice for Bachmann's next long bogie diesel, and the only thing holding Bachmann back would be what the licensor says. Out of all the other diesels, BoCo is the one with the most demand.

I'd also accept Diesel 10 if they have to stick with characters that appeared in the CGI series. The only issue is the claw.

Any of these diesels would really help to increase the variety of diesel engines in the HO Scale range. While we still need Sidney to complete the Class 08 series in HO Scale, we could use more diesels who aren't Class 08 diesel shunters.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

plas man

Now although there isn't as much merchandise behind Derek, he is a fan favourite character and he is a character alot of people want to recreate. He is a class 17 which Bachmann again has that tooling available.

Now the Class 17 is a cheaper model and probably easier for Bachmann to produce and sell.
[/quote]

funny thing is I always thought the class 17 was a Heljan model and not Bachmann (apart from the Dave Alexanderer Kit) , please correct me if wrong along with catapouge number.

TrainFan97

Is the demand for Derek suddenly going to spike?

Despite appearing in only one episode, he's a fan favorite, and an interesting shape for a diesel. His design would really help break the monotony with the diesels in the HO Scale range. Derek would also be an easier engine for Bachmann to produce.

Will Bachmann consider Derek for HO Scale, even though he appeared in only one episode? His only other appearance was a music video in Calling All Engines. Will Bachmann know if Derek would be a popular seller? We know BoCo would be a huge hit.

BoCo would be easy to produce solely because he's box-shaped.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

RailwayRoundhouse

Personally speaking, I'd love to see any classic characters made in the range and BoCo is no exception. The character is extremely popular among the fandom and the demand for a model of him is certainly there. Not to mention that by Boco being produced, you'd finally have all the engines that work on Edward's Branch Line (Edward, Boco, Bill & Ben). I'd buy BoCo in a heartbeat.

Now regarding Diesel 10. If I'm to be completely honest with you all, I'd like him to be made just as much as BoCo. Despite the undeniable fact that Thomas and the Magic Railroad is a massive flop with an extremely confusing and messy story, the film still has a special place in my heart. I adore the model work in the film, the characterisation of the engines, the soundtrack and the characters introduced the film (at least when it comes to the engines). I found Diesel 10 in particular to be throughly entertaining throughout and I'd honestly love to own a model of him. Of course, there would issues that would need addressing such as the claw, but I do believe there are ways to work around said issues.

In conclusion, I'd honestly be super happy should Boco or Diesel 10 end up being announced in the future. I like both characters equally (albeit for different reasons) and I'd no doubt buy a model of either engine in a heartbeat, regardless of price.

JLK2707

I think they should just do both.

RailwayRoundhouse

Quote from: JLK2707 on June 12, 2021, 09:49:28 AM
I think they should just do both.

Maybe. Though we have to take into account how much it costs to produce the toolings required.

TrainFan97

Here's what BoCo would have looked like in the CGI series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0hNaH_9p0

Though, if Bachmann does make BoCo, he would have to be made in his model series design. Had BoCo returned, we could've gotten a nice render like that, plus more episodes on Edward's branch line with Bill and Ben. Talk about wasted potential. It screams wasted potential.

Also if Bachmann makes BoCo, it would complete Edward's branch line engines in HO Scale (Edward, Bill, Ben, and BoCo). The demand for BoCo is clearly there and is very much up there with Stepney. The only issue is getting Mattel's approval for Bachmann to make BoCo, despite never actually appearing in the CGI series. Unlike Daisy, BoCo would actually be made for pulling heavy goods trains.

JLK2707

Yeah. I would have just loved a CGI BoCo pulling TAR tanker wagons or even an assortment of TAR and oil tanker wagons.

TrainFan97

I don't really see Bachmann making Derek before BoCo because at least BoCo had more appearances.

BoCo is a simple box shape of a diesel Bachmann can easily produce. Derek would also be easy to produce because he's not too big, and is a Bo-Bo.

Diesel 10's only issue is the claw, but we'll see if Bachmann could figure out how to get a manually-operated claw to work on an HO Scale model.

Any one of these choices would really help break the monotony in the HO Scale range of diesels.

JLK2707

Yeah. Another choice is just BoCo, Derek and Diesel 10 at the same time. It is probably just wishful thinking, but you never know.

Stephen62

Definitely boco over diesel 10. Diesel 10 is my least favorite out of all the diesels. But I worming seeing Derek and class 40 as well. Bachmann will never make diesel 10 anyways because of his claw

MrNormalDraws

Personally, I like to see Diesel 10 be made as most of the other large diesels are green and I don't know if they would clash too much with Daisy. Plus D10 is the one diesel in almost every line that sells the most.

The only other large diesels the show has are Hugo, Noor Jehan and the Chinese Diesel. The only issues with all three is that they're still recent characters (two of which are from BWBA), but they have separate issues.

Like Daisy, Hugo doesn't pull other wagons but unlike her, he has that big propeller on the back. Also like with the Diesel 10 issue, it depends if Bachmann wants to either motor power or just a piece of decoration that you can just spin.

Noor Jehan is based on a American diesel, which wouldn't be too hard for Bachmann to be made. The issue is that she has tinsel on the front of her, which I don't know if Bachmann could try making it. But then again, that didn't stop them from doing Salty's handrails.

The Chinese Diesel (the one that appears in some the China based episodes) looks very promising as it is a European design. The only issue is that like either the 08 shunters in the Great Race, she isn't properly named unless Mattel has some notes on what her name is.

TrainFan97

It's quite a shame that other large diesels like Bear and Spamcan (D199) never appeared in the TV series, and probably never will.

Awesometrain77

Bachmann won't make BoCo he has not appeared since season 5 . Diesel 10 will be super cool to see get made but I wonder how they will pull pinchy .