News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

es44 motor

Started by lkeat, March 10, 2021, 10:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkeat

having problem with motor, sometimes it will not run unless you tap the shell lights and sound stay on, probably a little over an hour of run time since new

jonathan

Ike,

I would speculate that you are not having motor problems.

When you tap the shell, I'm guessing you are causing a loose electrical connection to engage and allow current to flow to the motor.

Caveat:  I don't have this locomotive. I don't know how to remove the shell.

However, I would follow the connections from the motor to the PCB/decoder.  There may be one of those press-fit tabs that isn't quite secure, or something of that nature... not uncommon in modern model loco construction.

Today's small electrical motors are pretty robust.  It would be a truly rare thing to have a faulty motor with a new loco.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

If it has the plastic clips, some remove them and solder the wires. The diagram if you do not have it.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_GE_ES44AC_(DCC_Sound).pdf

Eich

ricktrains4824

As one who has a few of these models I can confirm they use the plastic clips.

My guess is one of the wires (or more) are loosely installed inside those clips.

Shell removal is easy. Unscrew and remove the two couplers and boxes, then remove two screws located in the chassis closest to the fuel tank. Entire shell assembly then slides right off.

Once the correct wire(s) are located and secured tightly, the problem should disappear.