News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 quick questions

Started by Ty.the.railroad.guy, June 07, 2021, 09:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty.the.railroad.guy

I have two quick questions and hopefully I won't have to use this forum again for awhile.

1. I would like to use a turntable with my layout but due to limited space and my lack of talent of wiring to use the walthers brand I'm considering buying the bachmann brand since all of the track I'm using is EZ track. So my question about it is: as long as I don't turn the engine a full 180 degrees, it won't cause a short in the locomotive right?

2. I own a few of the crossovers and some of the #4 turnouts as well as a #5 turnout. From the instructions I've read some say I should power the frogs on a dcc layout but others say I shouldn't. So what's the difference and should I or should I not power said frogs?

Thanks
Why model a specific era, when you can just let your imagination run wild?

jward

Powered frogs are generally a good thing. SHort wheelbase locomotives like the 0-6-0 or 44 tonner can stall on unpowered frogs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Piyer

Quote from: Ty.the.railroad.guy on June 07, 2021, 09:54:34 PM
1. I would like to use a turntable with my layout but due to limited space and my lack of talent of wiring to use the walthers brand I'm considering buying the bachmann brand since all of the track I'm using is EZ track. So my question about it is: as long as I don't turn the engine a full 180 degrees, it won't cause a short in the locomotive right?

Quick answer: Yes. Or no. It depends.

Longer answer: The locomotive itself triggers the short, but it's the power in the wiring that causes the short. If the polarity in the bridge rails is opposite to the polarity in the rails the locomotive is moving to / from, BOOM! The Goddess of Electricity screams at you. How to avoid this is highly dependent on your setup and technical prowess. My personal favorite is bi-color (red / green) LEDs. Wire them across the power gap, red indicates different polarities, green equal the same polarity. You can mount it in a dwarf signal head on regular tracks, and as a signal light over the roundhouse stall for those tracks.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.