1st Generation Spectrum 2-8-0 1:20.3 Power Pickup Carbon Brushes

Started by ChadKener, June 20, 2021, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadKener

Good afternoon fellow modelers. I have a 1st gen (2004/2005) Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidated that has 1/8" carbon brushes and springs that ride against the wheel hub for each wheel. Unfortunately Bachmann doesn't carry these brushes in stock as a replacement part online. When I contacted the service department via phone they stated that they no longer use carbon brushes for there locomotives and would be unable to assist me.

My question to first gen 2-8-0 owners is have you tried replacing the brushes in your locomotive, and if so, where did you get the brushes? I have carbon brushes for my LGB Loco's and USAT rolling stock but those are 11/64" (too large) to fit in the brass sleeve. I can post pics if that help.

Please Help!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

I noticed there are no responses, so can anyone come up with something to help Chad??

This is my desperation idea.  Awhile ago I had to thin a plastic rod to fix a part on my refrigerator.  The part was not available so I took the plastic rod and chucked it into a variable speed battery powered electric drill.  I used very fine sandpaper wrapped around the rod while running the drill at very slow speed until it was the width I needed, then cut it to the length I needed.  The repair has worked just fine ever since.  Doing this with carbon brushes would be tedious but might work.

I would chuck it into the drill( or motor tool??), thin it then reverse it to thin the other end.  I know this sounds crazy and risky, but it is all I can think of, and there must be an easier way. 

The challenge is to find a better way than mine.  There must be one???

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred2179

Quotehave you tried replacing the brushes in your locomotive
You are in luck. A gent over on MLS had the same problem and found a solution. Basically, he put a strip of phosphor-bronze (springy) over the brush holders resting on the hubs, and used some old Kadee springs in the brush holes to suspend it on the axles.
https://www.mylargescale.com/threads/power-pickup-brushes-for-older-bachmann-spectrum-2-8-0-consolidated.91625/#post-1165559