News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help for a self starter

Started by ScottB7116, June 27, 2021, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottB7116

I purchased a Spectrum/Bachmann GEDASH 8-40CW WIDE CAB DIESEL (CSX) #7652 last year and just recently had the opportunity to break it out and test it out. After much frustration I finally got it working and running smoothly. Suddenly the back truck either works intermittently or not at all. When I removed the cab and put it on a test track it seems the rear driveshaft(?) is too short.
I can't find any way to adjust the position of the rear truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Len

It's more likely the flywheel was pushed too far up the motor shaft than the drive shaft is too short. You should be able to work the flywheel a bit further out on the motor shaft.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ScottB7116

I'll give it try. Couldn't see anything to adjust before but I'll look a little closer. 👍🏻

Desert Rose

Sometimes they come from the factory not hooked up. we have had this problem with three new units, SD40-2 and GP40's. the drive shaft snaps in to the universal joint and slides freely in and out on the flywheel end. the factory on ours didn't install them correctly and they fell out after a short time of use. we reinstalled them correctly and have had no further problems. Its seems the factory has a problem installing rear drive shafts. We have had the universal joint come loose, spin on the worm gear shaft and slide back towards the worm gear causing the drive shaft to fall out, this is from the factory. To fix the loose universal joint we put a drop of Loctite 271 on the worm gear shaft spacing it the same as the front, let it dry 24 hours.

jward

I have an FT that did the same thing. But mine does not have a flywheel. Is there a practical solution for this oen dropping the drive shaft under load short of replacing the shaft with something slightly longer? It doesn't look like there is much room to move the universals on the motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA