News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S4 speaker keeps blowing

Started by ME1808, June 27, 2021, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ME1808

Hello All,
My grandfather is hard of hearing and found out how to adjust the cv's.Well he likes the rumble sound of the Alco  s4 .He turns it up to around max. Sound really good ,but when the horn is blown the speaker cannot handle it all together it cracks and then gets real tinny.We replaced the speaker 3 times so far.Was thinking I could find a higher watt speaker the same size to fit in the speaker enclosure ,but not exactly sure my measurements are correct. Does anyone know what size speaker is in it exactly so it can press fit in the enclosure correctly?
  Thanks.

ricktrains4824

Your problem is simply size... Not power. Decoders are rated for a set speaker wattage. Any different causes issues. (Or does not work at all, damaging either decoder or speaker, or both, very quickly.)

Unfortunately, the small speakers have only finite sound volume available, before either not sounding right, or becoming damaged.

How big is the layout? If it's located in a single room and not that large, they do have systems that will play the locomotive sounds through much larger off-locomotive speakers, which will sound much better, and give more volume.
Or "MORE POWER" as "Time The Tool Man Taylor" says.   ;D

That might be a better solution, depending on layout size and location.

ME1808

That is a great idea ,but the cost involved is 10 fold of just putting a better speaker onboard the loco. Seems they are coming out with drop in TSU2  sound boards for the sound value diesels, but there is a problem right up front with that unless it includes a comparable  speaker because if a sound value board blows them up a tsu2 board will turn them into a instant smoking loco. Where is the thought process with that in the company's engineering? Not rocket science unless they want to warranty or sell many boards .TSU 2 has a very powerful amplifier .Have a few and they are awesome with the right speakers.