News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overload

Started by taz4us2, February 18, 2007, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz4us2

I've just setup a new track pretty long but not too complicated and I was trying to do a test run, but my controller keeps coming up "overload" any suggestions?
  I've tried the  usual nothing on the track, etc.
???

Jim Banner

If you used E-Z Track, it should not be too hard to disconnect major sections of your layout to isolate the short to some particular section.  Once you isolate it to a major section, you can disconnect one piece of track at a time until the short is isolated.

Chances are you have accidentally created a return loop, that is, a pattern that allows a train to traverse some of the track in one direction at some times and in the other direction at other times.  You might check for this even before taking any track apart.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Nathan

You may have to just do it step by step.  Disconnect the wire at the booster. If that is ok then disconnect all the wires to the track. If you do not have some gaps anywhere on the layout, make a few to divide the layout into smaller sections.  Power up one section at a time.  Once you have found a bad section, disconnect it and check the rest of the sections. 

Then go back to the bad section and make some temporary gaps  to make smaller sections.  It may be a bad turnout, crossing, or even a bad piece of straight track.  I dropped a small nail on the track one time near a frog and it took me several trys to find the problem.