News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Proto/Atlas Alco S-1/2

Started by Conrail Quality, December 28, 2007, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrail Quality

For a kitbash project I'm planning, I'm going to use an Alco S-1/2/3/4 frame and drive. My question is: which one runs better, the Proto or the Atlas? The shell doesn't matter to me, since I'll be using an Athearn SW1000 shell. Also, is either of them easy to convert to EMD's Blomberg trucks?  Thanks for any info.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Guilford Guy

I think you may have to swap the trucks out with Athearn Bloomberg trucks since the Alco Truck assemblies are different. I haven't tried this myself. Atlas IMHo has the better mechanism while the P2k has better details. I'd gladly take the ALCo shell off your hands.
Alex

Conrail Quality

Okay, thanks! The Atlas is is, then (unless I find a really good price on the Proto!). I'll see if I can can bash something together with truck sideframes from a scrapped GP-38. As for the shell, I was actually planning on cutting it up for the vents. Sorry. :'(

BTW, here's what I'm trying to make, an SW1200MG. The vents and fuel tank (well, the lack thereof ;)) will be the biggest problems. Still, it seems doable.
Timothy

Guilford Guy

the way the trucks are built, the sideframes are a crucial part. You may be better off taking the trucks off the scrapped GP38 and using those.
Alex

Conrail Quality

Thanks for your help. I can't use the GP-38 trucks because they came from an old Life-Life pancake motor train set loco, and completely unusable.  Maybe I'll have to use an MP-15 chassis, which I originally wanted to avoid because of the large fuel tank. I'd rather have the right trucks. More musing is requred, then. I seem to spend far more time planning my projects then actually doing them...
Timothy

Guilford Guy

Will you be using a lowered 70 Toner Body? Whatever loco you use I am in need of spare shell parts if you don't need them...
Alex

kevin2083

What type of parts do you need?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Guilford Guy

Alco Cab for my switcher... and parts for a scrap yard scene...
Alex

Hoople

If you lived here back in november, you could have picked up an S-3 by atlas for $30 at a train show. There were two, I picked up one. The second wasn't bought.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!