Mixing DCC and Wired Turnouts

Started by repivarnik, July 05, 2021, 03:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repivarnik

I just purchased the Bachmann Digital Commander train set with DCC and was surprised that it came with only a manual turnout. I then added the Bachman HO Scale First Railroad Track Pack, which comes with only wired turnouts. Can the DCC control pack power the wired turnouts or do I need and another power pack. If so, what do I order to power the wired HO turnouts? (Can I mix DCC and wired turnouts on the same track?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe323

Yes and no

Yes you can mix wired turnoouts in with the DCC but you cannot power them from the DCC controller. 

Use a separate power source (The AC terminals from an old HO or N train-set  power pack will do). Having the turnouts separately powered also makes it easier as your layout grows to keep track of what you have thrown You could even build a panel with a track diagram.

repivarnik

This is my first HO train in years. (Been playing LGB garden railroads.) Could you please a HO power source to control the wired switches?

Thanks in advance!

Hunt

Bachmann non-DCC turnout wiring and powering

Use any power supply adapter with output 16V 1000mA. Either AC or DC output will work.  Example: a wall wart type power supply.  With two turnouts, an AC or DC power supply output of   12V 500mA may work.

For wiring and other ways to power
Click Here for Bachmann video (overlook the inconsistent terminology usage).

Terry Toenges

Something like this old one with accessory terminals. There are a lot of them for sale on EBAY if you use that.
Feel like a Mogul.