News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A dream come true!

Started by TrainCollector, July 07, 2021, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainCollector

Hey guys I'm an HO modeler and I have wanted a Dash 8-40CW forever. Now we are getting them in HO. They will be equipped with DCC and Sound. Is anyone else going to purchase these? Does anyone know how many cars these locomotives can pull? Does anyone know the history of how these were built? Comment below with some info thank you.

Grumpy468

We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

Terry Toenges

It looks like Atlas makes them in HO and N and Bachmann makes them in N. Has Bachmann announced HO ones?
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

These were just announced in HO in the latest Bachmann announcements.

I don't have a C40-8w, but ( did have a c40-8. As I recall is was a heavy split frame locomotive that was a good puller but didn't play well with 18r curves. Mine was from the original release of 1989. For comparison, I have a number of other Bachmann diesels. My GP4-s and GP7 will pull 20 silver series gondolas up a 4& grade. I'd expect the C40-8w to pull at least 5 more than that.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ricktrains4824

Bachmann has had many iterations of this unit. I have two "Spectrum" versions, from pre-dcc days, and converted the one over to DCC when I switched over to it many years ago.

The second one has sat in the "round to it" stack, and just has stayed there. Those original (DC Only) Spectrum ones were not to easiest units to convert over back then, nor now...

I also have a pair of Atlas ones, one sitting in that "round to it" stack awaiting a decoder, paint and decals.

jward

Those old split frame units aren't hard to convert to DCC. One of out former members, the late Jim Banner, had an excellent pictorial on installing a decoder in a baby train master. But the procedure works as well for any split frame unit. I've done maybe 5 or 6 using his instructions. https://web.archive.org/web/20081208035650/http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TrainCollector

Bachmann just announced these. I believe they perform best on 22" inch radius curves or greater. I have an N scale Dash 8-40CW with DCC and sound. Mine is the CSX paint scheme. I'll be getting this new engine in HO scale also with CSX colors. Anyone else gonna get it?