Sound no longer working on bachmann Santa Fe DCC locomotive

Started by Martha, July 14, 2021, 02:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martha

I purchased in March 2021 the Bachman thunder chief locomotive DCC set. It all worked fine and dandy and now just recently there is no longer any sound, no bells, horns, engine sound. The light will work if I do a f10 and the engine operates very smoothly.

Any ideas why I'm having this issue? Is there a simple way to check the speaker? I have taken it apart and I don't see any loose connections or broken wires that might have shorted out.

As always I'm thankful and I appreciate all your suggestions and helpful answers.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Martha

No I did try that too. function 8 to unmute it and whatever but now the light is only working part-time so now I'm really at a loss what's going on.
I'm using the bachman control that came with it. Is it possible to reset it somehow? I've also tried it on a digitrax once again nothing there.

jonathan

It's been my experience in DCC that the sound requires more current than the motor. So, if not enough power to the track, loco will move but sound won't work or is sporatic. Couldn't hurt to make sure track/wheels are clean and the power unit is well connected to the track.

My two cents.

Regards,

Jonathan

Desert Rose

To test the speaker I use some jumpers from an engine that works and clip on to the speaker in question, start the good engine if the speaker is good you will hear sound from both speakers.

Martha

Jonathan your knowledge of the electronics and lighting and things of that nature is outstanding. I keep coming back to see how you do on your layouts and I do copy quite a few of those ideas sorry they are just too good not to!

Deborah thanks for that tip. Unfortunately I don't have another DCC to try that or at least I didn't until just now. I just got a decoder and speaker for another locomotive so I am going to try that jumper speaker wire that you suggested. So now I'm off to try to do that installation I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thank you all for your support.

jonathan

Martha,

Thanks for the kind words.

What kind of DCC system do you have?  There could be an issue with how much current is getting to the tracks.  Some systems, like Digitrax, have a switch between N and HO scale.  The N scale setting sends less current to the track. Some HO locos will respond in N setting--some will not.

If you have a speaker issue, usually there still would be some kind of crackling noise from a broken speaker.  A loose wire would be fairly obvious.  Just spitballing here.

Regards,

Jonathan

Martha

Okay so I'm having two issues now.

First issue was the no sound on the bachman DCC I did a jumper on another speaker and the sounds are working. If I'm over around the bachmann speaker it does crackle and what not so it's pretty good indication I believe that speakers shot.However that being said the bachmann DCC controller I'm using it seems to have issues switching functions so now I don't know if that control box is an issue. I'm going to replace the speaker in that bachman Santa Fe and then try it on the digitrack controller I also have.

Now second issue goes back to another question I asked on the forum. I'm going to go with that issue back to that forum.

jward

By Digitrax I am assuming you have one of the Zephyr models, DCS 50, DCS51 or DCS52? Those are the basic, entry level system. What I have found is placing a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track will let the Zephyr detect and program the decoders used by Bachmann. If you've wired lighting you are probably aware pf the Miniatronics displays better hobby shops have. Now that we no longer have Radio Shacks on every corner, those displays are probably your best source for resistors. I soldered alligator clips on mine so I can remove it when it is not needed. With the resistor in place, your system should be able to read, write, and read back any CV you need to change. That includes doind a factory default reset on the decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Martha

Sorry jward all that was way over my head. I have the zephyr DCS 52. Yes it's an entry level system because I'm at entry level. I don't know anything about resistors or any things of that nature. But I do appreciate you trying to help me out.

plint

This all should be under warranty, the engine and controller.  Bachmann is good for a year on most warranties.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.