Future suggestions/predictions thread

Started by Chaz, July 15, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleBuddyFan

Season's Greetings Express Coaches would be interested! Knapford Express Coaches, Danger Signs and Wellsworth Station would be cool!

Chaz

Well, I figured now is as good of a time as any other to talk about something that I don't think I've really brought in discussion for a while now, starter sets.  I haven't done a post devoted to starter sets in a really, really long time. Part of the reason why I have been inspired to do this post, comes from a recent meeting I had with a former student and his dad who are looking into the Hobby. The student is nonverbal, but his dad was telling me that he wants to get his son started with HO but said that he would be interested in a starter set that featured another locomotive besides just Thomas.  In the past, it's been stated that sets that feature other characters besides Thomas, don't usually sell well, which is why there haven't been sets devoted to other characters in HO for a really long time.

However, the N scale range seems to have broken that boundary. Last year, a Percy was announced, and this year, an Emily set is now being introduced. Maybe Bachmann is being a little more ambitious with the newer range since it's a good way to get people in N scale? Who knows. Because of these newer sets, and the idea of introducing a new generation into the hobby, I figured that Bachmann could really benefit from adding to their starter set diversity.  Especially since, for the most part, most of the engines and stock I am about to suggest in these sets are already present so it's not like it will cost much production wise.  So, in honor of this, I figured it's time I shed some light on the subject on starter set ideas again, starting with HO.

The first set is technically not new, it's a re-introduction - the Percy and the troublesome trucks set in HO. 

The Percy set was one of the first train sets announced during the range's launch in 2002 and has been around for a couple of years, only to eventually get discontinued in the late 2000s alongside sets for other characters like Gordon and James.  I feel that if Bachmann are reluctant to introducing starter sets in HO to other characters again, I feel doing so with Percy would be the least risky since Percy is still a very popular main character on the show as well as being an icon for the Thomas brand.   As per the original, this set would consist of circle of track, Percy, and troublesome trucks #1 and #2.

The second set, I'm about to suggest, is a little bit more ambitious, it is a DCC and sound Thomas and Percy set.

Bachmann has introduced DCC sets with more than one locomotive in the past (as shown above), to show modelers how they can operate two different locomotives on the same track at the same time at various speeds. If Bachmann really wants to encourage fans to get into the hobby, or let alone something as niche as DCC, why not make a starter set devoted to DCC and sound? This set would include an oval of track, plus a switch and a couple of additional straights and a bumper to park one of the locomotives while running the other.  This set would include both the upcoming DCC and sound Thomas and Percy locomotives, in addition to some rolling stock, whether that is the same troublesome trucks #1 and #2 alone, or including both of the trucks plus Annie and Clarabel. It would definitely be an expensive set for sure, but I feel this would really help people get into this rather niche side of the HO Hobby. Even if they did a set with just the upcoming DCC Thomas, with the two trucks, that could easily take place of the current Thomas and troublesome trucks set. Out of all of the sets I'm mentioning, this one is probably the least likely, but I figured I would throw it out there just for some good measure.

The next set is something that I am genuinely surprised has still never happened yet which is a starter set for narrow gauge. 

On a similar point to the DCC set I mentioned earlier, introducing a starter set for the narrow gauge range is a really smart idea and one I'm still surprised Bachmann hasn't considered. OO9/HOn30 is an incredibly niche part of an already incredibly niche hobby that not too many people are going to be familiar with, let alone understand how it works.  Heck, even a small number of fans think the Skarloey range is considered N scale and would get the engines and stock mixed up with one another which I feel attributes to why a starter set for the narrow gauge line is a necessity. 

The narrow gauge range has been out for almost a decade and still sells really well, but if Bachmann wants to continue to encourage a younger generation to get into the hobby, a good way to get people into this side of the hobby would be to introduce a starter set devoted to Skarloey.  This set would include an oval of Bachmann's N scale track, Skarloey, and 3-4 pieces of rolling stock. Personally, I would recommend one of the slate wagons, one of the upcoming box vans and a brake van of a color contrast to the box van included in the set for some further diversity.

The next set I want to talk about is for the already expansive N scale range, which is a set devoted to the upcoming Gordon model.

Gordon had a set introduced in HO previously, similar to Percy and Emily. And just like those previous sets, they ended up getting discontinued some time later after introduction.  However, I think introducing a set for Gordon in N scale would not only be a smart idea, but also a great way to hype up an exciting model making its way into the range.  What a better way to honor a long overdue introduction to an N scale Gordon model than to give him his own set too?  The only current drawback is that there are currently no express coaches announced in N scale, but something tells me we may not be that far off from this introduction.  This set would include an oval of N scale track, Gordon, Gordon's express composite coach, and Gordon's express brake coach.

And the last thing I want to talk about is another re-introduction which is a Thomas starter set in large scale.

In Bachmann's current 2023 catalog there are only three large scale sets in production period.  Not one of these sets is dedicated to the Thomas range.  On some level, I understand why.  Large scale is already a niche and, quite frankly, a dying part of the hobby with the appeal being fairly limited.  But on the opposite end of the coin, I truth be told don't really see the harm in re-introducing only the Thomas set in large scale but just leaving it at that.  As I've stated earlier, starter sets really help with getting people into the hobby.  Bachmann doesn't need to make a few sets for the large scale range (or narrow gauge either for that matter).  But, when there are basically no real starting ground to get people started with large scale Thomas, it in some ways alienates their consumers from getting into collecting this range, let alone large scale as a whole.  It might be a risky gamble since the price will likely be high, but that's the nature of G scale and I think consumers who want to get into large scale, or get their kids into G scale probably know this in advance already.  It's a risk, sure, but it's one that I think will pay off long term.  The contents would be the exact same same as the original release in 2009: a circle of G scale track, Thomas , and Annie and Clarabel.

And that's pretty much it!  I know that this is a bit of a tangent, but I feel that getting a younger generation into the hobby is so crucial to keeping it alive for both generations to enjoy together.  And the fact that a parent told me he was struggling with options, strikes me as a red flag and is something I feel Bachmann needs to take into consideration, or in some cases, re-consideration.  The worst thing that could happen with these sets are that don't sell and collect dust on shelves or in storage. The best case scenario though, is getting more people, particularly a new generation, into the hobby which I feel would benefit everyone involved, Bachmann especially.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.  Which sets do you think could work? 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

N Scale Sudrian

I think in HO, what a side-character focused set needs to succeed is to have a better value for money than the standard "Thomas + Annie & Clarabel + Circle of Track" set. Something along the lines of the Salty or Thomas freight set but featuring a more widely-popular character who isn't just Thomas might do the trick. Say, James with a rake of four wagons? They could be either unique color schemes for existing tools or items plucked from the separate-sale range of wagons, preferably the former to get in more appeal to newcomers. Maybe a bit of both would work? Something like S.C. Ruffey and the Spiteful Brake Van coupled with a Box Van and Tank Car in unique schemes would be a pretty enticing draw for newcomers to the hobby. James has traditionally been the 2nd most popular character in Thomas merchandising as a whole, so I think something like this would be a hit.

As for other scales, you're completely right that we're well over-due for an HOn30 starter set. I think Skarloey with a rake of passenger cars (perhaps ones with liveries unique to the set?) with a loop of track would be a popular item. A Gordon set in N Scale sounds reasonable as well. I think the reason Bachmann is doing N Scale versions of all these discontinued HO sets is because they don't plan on keeping them around forever to begin with. But once Gordon's coaches are announced, I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll be making a set with them and Gordon too. Now all we need in N is a Christmas set...

For Large Scale, I think reintroducing the Thomas set would more or less be the only viable avenue for a new set. You basically hit the nail on the head, Large Scale's popularity dying down nowadays. But surely it having a Thomas-branded entry point into the hobby wouldn't make its situation any worse, would it?
N Scale modeler. Primarily interested in UK and US outline stock, as well as the "Thomas" line.
Hoping for Henry, Edward, and Mavis...

Red Tender 5

Great overview of Bachmann's sets, Charlie.

This talk of a DCC set makes me wonder what manufacturer they will go with for the sound decoder. Bachmann has worked with Soundtrazz, TCS, and made their own decoders.

It would be amazing if Bachmann used Loksound. The function mapping features of loksound are what make it the best decoder system of all time. Likewise its ability to customize random function activations.

I suspect Bachmann won't use Loksound though. The Charger and Sprinter have WowSound which has no functionality for silencing the horn in reverse for push-pull operation. You also cannot buy the locos in DC or silent configurations, which is disappointing.

My suspicion is Bachmann will make their own branded sound decoder for Thomas and Percy.

I am curious about what changes the sound install will bring. If any significant changes to the tooling improve the quality of the model to the level of more recent T&F releases I might have to pick them up, or wait for the DC version so I can put Loksound in.

Regarding a potential Thomas and Percy digital set, the Digital Commander set does seem like a perfect model for a Thomas and Percy set. The two locos, two troublesome trucks and Annie and Claribel or three troublesome trucks and a brakevan, a loop of track with a stub siding, the brand-new European coupler decoupler, the command station, and an instructional DVD would be a neat set for those who want to have fun driving and switching wagons.

I have some concerns. The Digital Commander set goes for $300 on trainworld. Exchanging the two silent locos for Thomas & Percy with Bachmann Sound installed and exchanging the rolling stock for troublesome trucks and a brakevan, my gut says a potential set will wind up between $500-$600 with Trainworld's discount. This price point seems high for a starter set, I wouldn't pay that much.

JacobSK

You make some excellent points here, Chaz. Considering the Percy set is doing quite well in N scale, it does make sense to bring it back for HO. Since the Thomas and the Troublesome Trucks set was introduced for the 75th anniversary, and the 80th almost two years, put the Troublesome Trucks (and the ore loads, just to give people a reason to get the set if nothing else) back with Percy and think of something fun for the 80th. It always baffled me why they ever discontinued it to begin with.

The DCC Thomas and Percy set sounds like a lot of fun. It wouldn't be too far off from and a great throwback to the old Hornby Thomas and Percy set from back in the day. Heck, even have the same rolling stock/consists!

As much as I question a lot of the things Hornby did in their over 30 year run, this set was one of my favorite things they ever did.

Next is the Narrow Gauge starter set. Again, I'm surprised this wasn't done when the range was first announced! I think if it were to be done, I think Skarloey is an excellent idea, considering that he's the face of the Narrow Gauge engines. Perhaps a small consist of two slate trucks, the new red box van and the red brake van would be perfect. The slate trucks are a no-brainer since Skarloey was primarily stationed at the Blue Mountain Quarry during the CGI series, but the box van and brake van break (see what I did there?) up the monotony of just having three slate tracks and no brake van. My only concern about a NG starter set is the fact that considering these models are specifically aimed at adults, parents who 40 and younger may make the mistake of giving one to their child with a lot of small parts that could be easily broken off or swallowed. Plus, the fact that the NG range is small, this same demographic of parents would buy with the mindset that it "is so tiny and cute".

Moving onto the N scale Gordon set. The HO set was one of my favorites, and I was sad when it was discontinued. I felt a big engine like Gordon and his long coaches would mean more track, fueling inspiration to build a larger layout. Gordon is up there with Thomas, Percy and James as one of the most popular characters and a set with him in it always felt like "deluxe" and "prestigious". Bringing that set idea into N scale, the same principals would apply. I'm all for it!

As for bringing back the large scale Thomas set, I'm quite surprised they ever discontinued the Thomas set to begin with. It seems like a no-brainer to bring it back. I'm not that versed in large scale, so please take what I say with a container of Iodized Sea Salt, but I do think that bringing back as one of the only Bachmann large scale starter sets seems like a perfect way to acknowledge the Thomas line with a large scale starter sets. Plus, I seem to recall Bachmann saying somewhere that starter sets with Thomas seem to do well.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Zekeism

When I started collecting back in 2016, the first three things I obtained was the Thomas/Harold/Bertie set, followed by the Salty set and finally the Emily set. I felt like it was a great way to buy stuff in bulk especially with the track being more difficult to obtain in the UK. But now because I owned nearly everything available, I have no need to buy any more starter sets. I also think that most collectors already own the main three engines, Thomas, Percy and James, so they wouldn't have the need to buy the sets. The concept is great for new collectors, but I always felt the oval/circle of track was a bit dull and would love something extra to make it slightly unique.

Maybe Thomas, Annie, Clarabel, Bertie with an oval of track with a crossing so children could relive the Thomas/Bertie race.

A Percy set with either Troublesome Trucks or even a Mail Coach and a Break Van with a helipad and Harold.

Then finally James with the red express coaches with a siding and maybe a platform.

Children would like to relive their favourite moments from the show, a parent could then buy a cheaper bundle set to start the hobby off for then. (:
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

BubbleBuddyFan

Gordon's Snow Clearing Express Set with Oval of E-Z Track would be cool! I like browsing 3D Printed HO/OO Scale Thomas from Shapeways sometimes too! I didn't get Bachmann Season's Greetings Express Coaches from Shapeways for last time! I think Season's Greetings Express Coaches would be a great idea!

Ralph S

I don't normally read this forum, but the title intrigued me somewhat.
 "Future suggestions/predictions".  All of the thoughts brought forth have merit, but from my experience everyone's thoughts on what the future of Modeling whether G, S, HO, TT and N scale will have to come to terms with, is living space.

In terms of what kids today are faced with.  Living space is a major culprit.  Another culprit is technology itself.   It doesn't matter what manufacturer brings forward on train sets.  The consumer (the adults with kids) will have to contend with the space for the train set.  Something to think about, when (we old folks) were kids, we could have that HO train set on a 4 by 8 piece of wood and slide it in and out from under our beds.  Now, think a minute.  Today's kids, I believe, would rather sit in front of a LED screen than pull out a train that only moves in a circular or figure eight pattern.  Kids today are smarter than we were due to the technology they are exposed to that we (old folks) didn't have.  For the fortunate adults that have kids and the living space to have a model train set, then it's only the technology that their kids will decide upon.  In Japan, living space is at a premium, so I've been told.  Therefore, it's been noticed that the N scale seems to be the most lucrative. (Reference: https://raicho.home.xs4all.nl/model/scales.html
It doesn't matter what train sets the manufacturers bring forward, if the consumer doesn't have the space to implement setting up that train set, then the cost of that train set will be next to ax the purchase. 

What I believe everyone is overlooking is that gaming technology is offering more enhanced interaction than the modeling technology.  The model manufacturers may not realize that they are in a battle with technology, the kids are into technology and model makers, manufacturers need to get on board with the technology.   As a suggestion, to enhancing train sets, adding actual video from the cab of a locomotive to the locomotive controller (LED screen of say, the Bachmann Dynamis wireless controller) would provide some enticement to the user providing that technology boost that kids would be intrigued with.  They would see the train go in that circle and would be able to visualize what it looks like from the cab of the locomotive.   An example is the gaming technology of flying a plane, the difference is that plane is only on the screen, whereas the train cab on the screen, one can look up from the controller at the actual train in motion, see block signals, and road crossing even see the train enter a tunnel.

So to conclude, it doesn't matter what train set is put forward, it'll have to compete with space and technology.  Modeling won't die, since N scale may support the space issue, as for the other scales space will always be a factor.  Technology that kids are exposed to will compound the issue and the future.

Such is my opinion....and two cents.

RailwayRoundhouse

Unrelated, but does anyone know if we're getting announcements for the summer? If so, does anyone know roughly when that may happen and what would y'all want to see announced?

Yard Master

Quote from: RailwayRoundhouse on June 13, 2023, 09:29:27 AMUnrelated, but does anyone know if we're getting announcements for the summer? If so, does anyone know roughly when that may happen and what would y'all want to see announced?
Hi RailwayRoundhouse,

We will be making our new product announcements in late August for the NMRA National Convention. No specifics yet, but this will include new Thomas & Friends products.

TrainFan97

Wow, an admin actually confirmed we are indeed getting new product announcements later this summer, with the NMRA being in August.

If Hiro can't be the next newly-tooled engine for HO Scale, other good choices would be Stanley, Whiff, or Nia. The latter only because we're getting Rebecca. Recolors to settle on would be Sidney, Fernando or Green Salty.

With N Scale Gordon and Emily soon to be shown fully painted, it's time another N Scale engine gets announced, which no doubt must be Henry, which would leave Edward as the only member of the original main cast left for N Scale. Then it would really be time to move on to side characters like Diesel.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

RailwayRoundhouse

Wow! Wasn't expecting a reply directly from Bachmann themselves!  ;D

With the announcement of Sir Topham Hatt's Car, I'd really love to see off rail-characters be made. I'd personally love to see Trevor and Bulgy. A model of George the Steamroller would be amazing too, though Trevor and Bulgy seem a lot more likely. Maybe even some of the pack characters might have a chance as a good few did in fact return in CGI.

RailwayRoundhouse

Quote from: TrainFan97 on June 13, 2023, 01:48:55 PMWow, an admin actually confirmed we are indeed getting new product announcements later this summer, with the NMRA being in August.

If Hiro can't be the next newly-tooled engine for HO Scale, other good choices would be Stanley, Whiff, or Nia. The latter only because we're getting Rebecca. Recolors to settle on would be Sidney, Fernando or Green Salty.

With N Scale Gordon and Emily soon to be shown fully painted, it's time another N Scale engine gets announced, which no doubt must be Henry, which would leave Edward as the only member of the original main cast left for N Scale. Then it would really be time to move on to side characters like Diesel.

Also I have to agree with you on Stanley! I personally love The Great Discovery and Stanley's a really cool looking character that I wish the show had done more with in hindsight.

MrNormalDraws

Quote from: RailwayRoundhouse on June 13, 2023, 03:48:38 PMWow! Wasn't expecting a reply directly from Bachmann themselves!  ;D

With the announcement of Sir Topham Hatt's Car, I'd really love to see off rail-characters be made. I'd personally love to see Trevor and Bulgy. A model of George the Steamroller would be amazing too, though Trevor and Bulgy seem a lot more likely. Maybe even some of the pack characters might have a chance as a good few did in fact return in CGI.

That's something I would like to see more of now that we have the Hatt Car coming soon. I heard from Doug years ago that they were thinking on doing Trevor, and he would be a good edition if Bachmann plans to do Jem Cole as he's an important character to Trevor as well, and he still shows up in the CGI era as well.

MontagueGWR08

I think Trevor and Bulgy would be great additions! Those two specifically would go great with some of the people packs coming out (Trevor and the farmer packs, Bulgy and the school children).