Future suggestions/predictions thread

Started by Chaz, July 15, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

I have no idea what to expect for HO Scale this NMRA, whether another engine gets announced or not. Progress has been made on Rebecca, and Doug will hopefully get to show the first unpainted sample of her soon. For new toolings, the most likely choices would be Nia, Stanley, or Whiff. They may not be ready for Hiro just yet. Though, Stanley would reuse Thomas' chassis. For recolors, it could be Sidney, Fernando, or Green Salty. Fernando is one from the Big World Big Adventures era, who, like Sidney, would also recycle Diesel's tooling. The only real issue with Sidney (apart from needing a painted border around his face) is his smaller eyes, which Bachmann would need to alter the eye mechanism, given that HO Scale Paxton ended up being disappointing for his disproportionate face. As for rolling stock, the Chocolate Syrup Tanker and the Toffee Tanker still have yet to be announced for HO Scale. A good new tooling for rolling stock would be the Works Unit Coach.

As for another new tooling for HO Scale, I would love to see Norman, but given that he was a nothing character in the CGI series, it's rather head-scratching. Though there are fan-made stories that shed more light on him. He got virtually no merchandise since Mattel took over. One big thing for Norman is that no ready-to-run model of BR 11001 exists, and he would be the first one.

Narrow Gauge still has plenty of catching up to do, and progress has been terribly slow on all upcoming products, including Sir Handel. Doug still has no significant update on him. It took three years to get the brake vans, which is ridiculous.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

MrNormalDraws

I'm probably in the minority, but I rather have Bachmann make a new tooling for either Murdoch or Arthur than using an existing tooling like with Beau.  I don't mind Beau being an existing retooling as he only appeared once and at least has a working light rather than the moving eyes. But for Arthur and Murdoch, I'm rather picky for them to look like how they are from the show, considering there are modifications between the real basis and how they're depicted in the show. Sooner or later, Mattel would have to let Bachmann do characters that weren't in the CGI era unless they plan to bring it back later on, but that's a topic for another day.

I don't much have to say for HO/OO, but for N scale, since they already have some of the Steam Team up, I like to see if they can do a Christmas set as it's only been a few years since the range started. I wouldn't mind having a Christmas themed set as my family has those little tabletop trees and it can go well with the table. Though it depends if they can just do a smaller scale version of one of the existing sets or make a new one. If they can go with an existing one, the first set would be good as they already have all the existing toolings for it. They can't do the ones after that as the later ones have a conflat and the other set from 2019 has the first brake van tooling.

TrainFan97

For sure, my biggest hope for N Scale is Henry. Would recycle Gordon's chassis minus trailing wheels, and also a very similar tooling with some changes. Also changing the tender from a Fowler to a Stanier. Henry's announcement would leave Edward as the only member of the original main cast left for N Scale, who would most likely be saved for the 2024 catalog at the earliest.

For HO Scale, Daisy's introduction brought larger diesels into the picture. At some point, Mattel would have to start letting Bachmann make model series characters again, like BoCo. The other most popular larger diesel to appear in the CGI series is Diesel 10. The claw on his roof does make everyone scratch their heads, but Bachmann does make rail cranes. Doug Blaine never mentioned anything regarding Diesel 10's likelihood, or said specifically that Diesel 10 is never happening simply because of his claw. He unfortunately did have pessimistic words on Stepney, solely because he never appeared in full CGI. For Diesel 10, they may figure out how to incorporate the claw, and keep it still when in motion, with positions to lock it. He would still fit in Tidmouth Sheds with no problem. The claw would make Diesel 10 the most unique model Bachmann has ever produced. They even considered Diesel 10 at one point.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TRAINSROCK!

I really want them to do Duncan a lot (I just started collecting the narrow gauge engines). Peter sam was the first one I bought and 4 of the blue coaches the blue break van and two of the blue box vans. (also I bought all 4 of the slate wagons rusty 4 of the red coaches the red break van and two of the red box vans). and I just ordered rheneas and I hope to buy skarloey when I can. I'm hoping sir Handel will come out and the new rolling stock. I just really want them to say that Duncan is the next one they do with the upcoming announcements. and I also been hoping they'd do duke too (just depending if they can I just really want the original 7 narrow gauge engines a lot and they really did a good job on them). I also mentioned that I'd hope they would do Luke as he was always my favorite of the newer narrow gauge engines. although I would like for them to do Millie and Victor (hope they'd do Kevin to go along with Victor). and I don't know about mighty Mac and fearless Freddie (i sort of liked them when they were introduced but now I'm mixed on them weather I like them or not I still prefer the original 7 and the ones from the cgi series as I feel they're more likable but that'll have to depend on terms).

ModelRailwayFan38

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Bachmann forum as I wanted to talk about new announcements and give ideas seeing as the announcements will be made towards the end of this month.

For HO Scale, I'm thinking that the most logical locomotive to make next would probably be Stanley. He was in both the model series as well as the CGI series, and played a major role in a movie. He also stands out from the other characters since he is one of (if not the only) characters in the show panted white, which would mean that he would look significant different from the other models Bachmann has already made. I could also see Sidney and Fernando being made since they would use largely the same tooling as Diesel, Arry, Bert and Paxton. With the announcement of Rebecca, I could also see Nia being made, particularly since she is a character Mattel have been trying really hard to push. As for Whiff, before he was brought up, I had honestly forgot about him as a character. He never really appeared that often, and I know that the last time a toy of him was made was in the Adventures range, and if I remember correctly it really didn't sell that well. So unless I'm the only one that has forgot about him, then I really can't see Whiff getting made. The other character I thought of was Winston, as a G Scale version of him has already been made, although it might be hard to fit a mechanism inside him, while still having an interior.

In Hon3/OO9, the next model I can see being made is Duncan. He is the only one of the Original cast of Narrow Gauge Characters that hasn't been made other than Duke, and seeing as Duke was not in the CGI series I can't really see him being made. I'm also quite surprised that Bachmann haven't done any troublesome slate wagons yet, so that might be something to consider.

In N Scale, I would expect Henry next, same as everyone else, and I would also expect to see some normal open wagons, more troublesome trucks, and possibly another brake van.

For G Scale I honestly don't know if we will get anything big again. Doug already stated that Gordon and Henry would be too expensive to justify, and Edward isn't really a main character anymore. Doug also stated in a livestream with Trainworld that Henrietta would be too much to make since nothing from her tooling could be used on another model, so unfortunately I kinda think that says that it's the end of the line for large scale. If anyone else has opinions on that though, I'd like to hear them, and same goes for everything else I've mentioned!

TrainFan97

Regarding Large Scale, I don't know if Edward is necessarily ruled out just because he was demoted from the main cast, and mistreated by Mattel in recent years. Gordon and Henry would be too big and costly, given their sheer size. At least N Scale is getting Henrietta for Toby. Edward seems much more likely for N Scale than Large Scale, especially once N Scale gets Henry, leaving Edward as the only one left of the original main cast. If Large Scale was to get anymore engines, they could make Bill and Ben, which would require only one new tooling. For recolors, they could still do LBSC Thomas and Origin James, maybe even 'Arry and Bert, although the latter two were discontinued in HO Scale. It may not be time for Large Scale modelers to pack it in just yet, but I feel we could be getting there very soon.

For HO Scale, it really seems like the most likely new tooling would be Stanley, since he appeared in both model and CGI, has a unique white livery, and played a major role in a special. He can even recycle Thomas' chassis, but with the wheels painted red. I still would love to see Diesel 10 as the next larger diesel like Daisy, although the claw raises concern, Doug Blaine himself has never said specifically that Diesel 10 can't happen because of it. After all, Bachmann does make rail cranes, and electric engines with pantographs, but they never tried putting a posable claw on a diesel engine before, which would really make Diesel 10 a first, and an ambitious project. Diesel 10 has been a request for quite some time, and it wasn't until we got Daisy when larger diesels came into the picture. The claw would be the only hard part, but there may be ways to get it to work, even if it may not be perfect.

And if HO Scale can't get a new tooling, there's always recolors, including Sidney and Fernando. Although I mention Green Salty, we still haven't gotten the reintroduced Salty in stock yet. Sidney and Fernando would be repaints of Diesel's tooling, but they would have to fix the eye mechanism for Sidney after Paxton's face came out disproportionate. Splatter and Dodge were dropped from the CGI series twice, and it wasn't until less than a year ago when James Lafiteau (EpicLafiteau on YouTube) finally brought Splatter and Dodge to life in full CGI in "You're a Mean One, Diesel 10" although it's unfortunately not official canon.

Chaz

I haven't really talked too much about large scale so much recently in my posts, mainly because I feel the range is on it's last legs.  Granted they've released some fun recolors recently, but the majority of what's been announced in large scale over the last decade has been just that - recolors.  I feel like if they introduce any new toolings at all in large scale it would have to be for something they could reuse for additional recolors to justify the tooling cost of the product. 

With engines, I think they are pretty much done aside from more Diesel repaints like Sidney or 'Arry and Bert.  Maybe an LBSC Thomas and Origin James too for the 80th anniversary, but that's really it.

As for rolling stock, I think it's pretty clear that if we get anything else in the future for large scale it will probably be more recolors.  I do, however think there is a lot more going for new rolling stock toolings than engines because of the recolor options out there.  The first is Henrietta since not only is she still a popular request after all of these years, but Hannah is a possible recolor option Bachmann can look into for either HO or N scale, they could easily introduce both Henrietta and Hannah either at the same time or a year or so apart from each other and it would be a good way to justify that tooling cost.   

Apart from Henrietta, the only other new rolling stock tooling I could potentially see them do in large scale would be 1 plank wagons with the large crate loads that were introduced in HO a few years ago since that seems like a simple enough tooling they could continue to reuse for repaints or different crate loads. 

Otherwise aside from those and potentially a new Thomas starter set, I think that's all I can see happening in large scale for the time being.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

ModelRailwayFan38

I agree. Henrietta might be more of a possibility now with the introduction of Hannah, though I would expect to see Hannah made in Ho or N Scale first. Other than that though, I can't see much more being made in Large Scale.

TrainFan97

It may not quite be time for Large Scale modelers to pack it in just yet, but it's really getting there.

ModelRailwayFan38

For sure, will be interesting to see what happens to this line.

On the flip side of a range ending, does anyone think Bachmann will make an On30 line of products. They can't do O Scale, as Lionel own the rights, but would that apply to On30 as well?

TRAINSROCK!

I had written that I've started to collect the narrow gauge engines. now that they've done skarloey rheneas rusty peter Sam (the first one I bought) and soon sir Handel. I've been anxiously hoping with the announcements coming soon I've really been hoping that they say that Duncan will be the next one they do (cause I really think he will after they give an update on sir Handel). and with seeing people complaining that they don't want bachmann to do Duncan as he was in the cgi series I really don't mind that they do him as he was in the cgi series. (I really never cared how good many of the characters they returned looked I was just happy with the returns they brought back). also I've been hoping they would do duke too (even though I've seen that Mattel told bachmann they can only do the characters that were in the cgi series duke is really the only character that hasn't appeared in the show I really want them to do at this point). so there are more characters I want to write that I want them to do right now Duncan is really the one I want them to announce really badly. so I hope Duncan will be the next one they say they do.

Chaz

I'm sure Bachmann will announce Duncan eventually.  Considering it took Bachmann almost three years to announce Sir Handel after Peter Sam, I would imagine we will get a Duncan announcement once Bachmann makes significant progress on Sir Handel first.  Apart from last year, narrow gauge announcements have been typically very minimal with 1-2 announcements a year since it seemed clear Bachmann really did not want to overdo it with too many announcements for such a niche market.  It also doesn't help that there are not too many options left that Bachmann hasn't announced yet in terms of new engines, especially with Mattel's CGI mandate.  Last year though was an anomly as Bachmann managed to announce one new locomotive tooling (Sir Handel), two new wagon toolings and a slate wagon with a new road number, which is a lot considering their track record. It's also worth noting, though technically not part of the Thomas range, they also announced Talyllyn models last year in OO9 too.  Granted these are just repaints of the Bachmann Skarloey with the face replaced with a new smokebox door, (not sure why we still don't have any updates on those yet), but it still adds to the high pile of OO9 products we are currently waiting on.  Taking all of that into consideration, it's clear Bachmann really went above and beyond for OO9 last year!  Though, if the 2023 catalog announcements are anything to go off of, it's clear Bachmann really needs to take a breather before announcing anymore major projects for the time being, especially for OO9.

Going back to Duncan, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I think the very earliest we would see a Bachmann Duncan announcement would be during next years NMRA show.  Even that though would really depend on progress on Sir Handel and several other projects first.  If Duncan is still not announced by then, then I think the more likely option would be in 2025 during the brand's 80th anniversary.  2025 would also be the 10th anniversary of the narrow gauge line's announcement, and what a better way to celebrate that anniversary than to introduce the sixth and final member of the original Skarloey Railway, (in CGI), in their OO9 range.  Kind of poetic, if you ask me.

Either way, I think it's really a matter of when Bachmann will announce Duncan, as opposed to "if".  It probably won't happen in the immediate future, but I'm sure it will happen in good time. :) 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TRAINSROCK!

Thank you for the reply. I think I'm just a little excited that bachmann is almost done with the narrow gauge engines. originally I was going to wait until they did all of them. but I went ahead and started to buy them. the first one I bought was peter Sam (just how great he turned out). and also four of the blue coaches the blue break van and the recent box vans (I bought 1 of the blue version than a second one just cause I really liked the new box vans). i was going buy 6 of the blue coaches but I went with 4 and the break van (my reason is mostly with the characters in the railway series agnus Ruth Jemima Lucy and Beatrice and the blue box van used as a to go along with the others i guess that could be cora from the railway series). and I also bought all 4 of the slate wagons that are out. and I also bought rusty two of the red box vans 4 of the red coaches and the red break van. and just recently I bought rheneas. Skarloey is the only one left I need to buy. still hope sir Handel and the new rolling stock comes soon (I may buy most of them when they come out). I think I'm really excited that they almost got the narrow gauge engines done. I guess I was hoping they'd say they would do Duncan now and he would be done for 2025 (just the way I was thinking). and more rolling stock I thought they should do is the green open air coaches both the brown and grey break vans (and also more of the box vans in the grey and brown paint even though those never existed I just thought they'd be great with the other vans). and I still hope they can do duke (as I said he's the one character I really want them to do who's not been in the show for years). thank you again for the reply I really appreciate it a lot.

ModelRailwayFan38

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets announced in a year or two. I'm thinking that they will probably wait till Sir Handel is near completion before starting Duncan though.

TRAINSROCK!

I just hope they give a progress on Sir Handel soon. than do Duncan when sir Handel is done. also other characters I want them to do in the standard gauge engines is Samson & Bradford (they've been my most wanted items ever since Samson & the fireworks). some are upset that that episode was going to feature Oliver and toad (but I'm glad they changed the role to Samson cause i said that I don't see Oliver afraid of fireworks). i also think Samson is overhated (I looked back at the other Samson episodes and I don't think he wasn't as bad as everyone says but that's just me I'd rather take him over Philip which I thought Philip was okay in season's 19 20 and I guess 21 but season's 22-24 I got annoyed with him). so Samson and Bradford are really what I also wish they'd do also the slip coaches (to go along with duck) and Porter (he was my favorite character of the cgi series until Samson & Bradford surpassed him with that title when Samson and the fireworks came). so I also hope they do them eventually too.