STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2021, 01:07:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Future suggestions/predictions thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Future suggestions/predictions thread  (Read 5647 times)
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »

All Engines Go is so bad, it's receiving negative media backlash, and Mattel is being roasted from it. I definitely don't see the reboot getting more than two seasons. The only way to fix the show now is to go back to the way it was, at least before the Big World Big Adventures rebrand. Just when we thought Big World Big Adventures was an embarrassing disaster, we knew from the start that the reboot was doomed to fail. In other words, just when we saw the atrocious new design for Thomas, we KNEW it was DOA. It's like how Sonic's design for the Sonic movie received backlash, except unlike Paramount, Mattel didn't listen.

You know a pre-school show is bad when even the target audience is hating it. Mattel refused to listen, and now they're in for a big scandal. This is exactly what happens when you continue to fix what wasn't broken.

At least Bachmann will continue making models based on the show we knew and loved.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:25:18 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Norman, Porter, and Timothy.
My wishlist for N Scale: Gordon, Henry, Edward, and Diesel.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »

I just knew this would happen! Maybe Thomas and Friends will be sold to another company who will resurrect the show! Smiley
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »

You know the reboot is bad when even preschoolers are saying it's not Thomas.

Mattel did this to cater specifically to the younger audience, but even the target audience hates it, as do the parents. They'd rather stick with the Thomas we grew up with, instead of this abomination of a reboot. I'm just glad the reboot is failing. CGI Thomas must be revived. We thought the "bouncing" was bad, but the reboot takes it to a whole new level by taking as much realism out as they could, including jumping engines, bending their bodies, absence of drivers and firemen, using their wheels as hands (despite saying they wouldn't), and a ton of others.

If the original series gets revived, they must bring back the proper character designs, drivers and firemen, get Sodor back to the way it was, and all railway realism must return.

We all predicted the reboot would fail, and it is failing big time. Buckle up, Mattel. They'd better be ready for outraged parents and disappointed children. Mattel went way too far with this reboot. Talk about a horrible reboot that just ruins a beloved franchise. It's just not what Thomas is supposed to be. I smell flop! An even bigger flop than Big World Big Adventures.

Looking back now, the HiT era was godlike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:55:18 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged

TheQueenOfSodor

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »

I think we all agree that AEG is bad and should be retired ASAP, but I feel like between this topic and the arguments over which scale should get Edward first (can't they just develop him in both?), the stated topic of the thread has been lost, haha.

In an attempt to get back on track (lol), has anyone suggested the Works Unit as a potential rolling stock candidate? I think outside of the new tooling cost, it'd be a pretty easy sell in the HO line, or any line really. The whole Breakdown Train would probably be a complicated affair given the classic version cranes were replaced by Judy and Jerome, and those two seem a bit too tall for NMRA standards... as well as breakdown cranes just being complicated rolling stock pieces entirely. I think Bachmann could easily recoup the cost of development due to the Breakdown Train as a whole requiring two crane cars to be purchased, faces or no, but I can easily see why they wouldn't want to try. However, the Works Unit coach does have a history of being used without the rest of the Train, such as between Donald and Douglas during snow clearing jobs, or... just kinda laying around the place in the Nitrogen Era. I imagine it could be released in both the classic series Green color and the Railway Series-inspired Orange color that was reintroduced in The Adventure Begins.

I'm sure somebody else has suggested this, but I feel like it deserves a shout regardless. It's a classic rolling stock item that can be resold under at least one alternate livery, so it seems like a reasonable piece of stock to bring into the line.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:22:16 PM by TheQueenOfSodor » Logged

Enjoyer of N Scale and "Thomas the Friend".
Wish List for 2022: Edward, Cattle Van, Ventilated Van, Brake Van, Henrietta
Kemptown Branch

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »

Honestly, the Works Unit Coach is a great idea! I would probably buy one, just because of it's potential to be used in various trains.

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.
Armada Starscream

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2021, 12:48:31 AM »

The Works Unit Coach is a great idea! Especially considering they have been in Green, Orange, and I think Blue as well.

I would hope they make the Brakedown Cranes. I am hoping they do Judy and Jerome.

Maybe they can have something where the sell the Brakedown Cranes, and have Judy and Jerome faces that are removable? It could then appeal to both those that want the regular Brakedown Train AND those that want Judy and Jerome!
TheQueenOfSodor

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »

I don't know about removable faces, since Judy and Jerome also have other details that would need to be accounted for in conversion (cab height, wasp stripe and nameplate removal, etc). The only upside to producing the old Breakdown Cranes over Judy and Jerome would be that Judy and Jerome are very tall, which is an understandable concern.

This image is the best illustration of the issue IMO. The old Breakdown Cranes' cabins were slightly taller than the Works Unit in the model series, but Judy and Jerome tower over the Works Unit in the CGI series. The Works Unit is around the same size of the standard 4-wheel Red and Orange coaches in the show as well, which means the cranes tower over the rest of the cast as well. It's a weird scaling issue that only comes about because the cabins are stretched to fit the faces.

I don't think they're necessarily badly designed, nor do I think it's bad that they were made into living characters. I think they would be pretty viable pieces of rolling stock sales-wise, since everyone who wants a complete Breakdown Train will pick up both cranes (as well as at least one Works Unit), and they pair well with both the TAB versions of Thomas and James, and the upcoming Daisy and Ryan due to their allocation on the Harwick branch. Literally the only issue with them is that they could potentially infringe on NMRA standards with the tall cabins. I suppose it comes down to if Bachmann can make the two without breaking standards. If they can't, I think consumers would still be happy to buy non-characterized Breakdown Cranes, but it would continue the trend of aesthetic clashes between Model and CGI in the HO line, and some might be disappointed about the avoidance of Judy and Jerome in the same way most are unhappy with Henrietta not being updated.

It's a tough situation where I wouldn't blame Bachmann for just avoiding the cranes altogether, but I think if they can do them, they absolutely should. The Breakdown Train is an important piece of rolling stock on Sodor, and would be a great part of any modeler's collection as a result.

Enjoyer of N Scale and "Thomas the Friend".
Wish List for 2022: Edward, Cattle Van, Ventilated Van, Brake Van, Henrietta
ScrumptiouslySouthern

Bring Back Salty!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »

You know the reboot is bad when even preschoolers are saying it's not Thomas.

Mattel did this to cater specifically to the younger audience, but even the target audience hates it, as do the parents. They'd rather stick with the Thomas we grew up with, instead of this abomination of a reboot. I'm just glad the reboot is failing. CGI Thomas must be revived. We thought the "bouncing" was bad, but the reboot takes it to a whole new level by taking as much realism out as they could, including jumping engines, bending their bodies, absence of drivers and firemen, using their wheels as hands (despite saying they wouldn't), and a ton of others.

If the original series gets revived, they must bring back the proper character designs, drivers and firemen, get Sodor back to the way it was, and all railway realism must return.

We all predicted the reboot would fail, and it is failing big time. Buckle up, Mattel. They'd better be ready for outraged parents and disappointed children. Mattel went way too far with this reboot. Talk about a horrible reboot that just ruins a beloved franchise. It's just not what Thomas is supposed to be. I smell flop! An even bigger flop than Big World Big Adventures.

Looking back now, the HiT era was godlike.
All Engines Go is so bad, it's receiving negative media backlash, and Mattel is being roasted from it. I definitely don't see the reboot getting more than two seasons. The only way to fix the show now is to go back to the way it was, at least before the Big World Big Adventures rebrand. Just when we thought Big World Big Adventures was an embarrassing disaster, we knew from the start that the reboot was doomed to fail. In other words, just when we saw the atrocious new design for Thomas, we KNEW it was DOA. It's like how Sonic's design for the Sonic movie received backlash, except unlike Paramount, Mattel didn't listen.

You know a pre-school show is bad when even the target audience is hating it. Mattel refused to listen, and now they're in for a big scandal. This is exactly what happens when you continue to fix what wasn't broken.
K, I know this is unrelated to the thread, so I'll keep it asap. I fully agree with the above posts, we already knew the reboot was dead before even arriving with fans, but I was a little bit worried that it might find success with the pre-school audience, which thankfully hasn't happened. Its pretty bad when kids who are largely familiar with late Brenner era and bwba can still see that this lobotomized trash isn't Thomas, and yet, you just know that Mattel will continue to try and push it for at least another year before giving up on it. I'm usually not one who cares a whole lot about whats on screen, like during the rhyming baby time HiT era, if its crap, its crap, I'll just make a shitpost clowning on it and get on with my day, its not good, but its not actively damaging the brand, but Mattel has ruined the merch with bwba, made it even worse with AEG, and AEG itself is just downright disrespectful to Awdry, to the decades of worldbuilding and history, and to the kids that Mattel thinks are braindead enough to want to watch it. Overall, every aspect of the brand besides the Bachmann models is so garbage that I feel they have no right to represent everything that TTTE is. Mattel is now left with three options 1, revive the pre-bwba CGI, 2, kill the brand now, or 3, continue to try and force AEG until the brand just dies (4th option is to create something even worse, but honestly, at this point I'd be amazed if that were even possible)

My Greedy Little Wish List: BoCo, Stepney, Porter, & Sir Handel
Hilux5972

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »

Future prediction from me: an official product photo of Daisy!!!! Like the one we were told would be coming 3 months ago. Shouldn’t take 3 months to take a photo.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »

I just agree with all points made about AEG!
RailwayRoundhouse

Always happy to talk trains :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

Personally speaking, I'd love to see some Sodor Mail Coaches for G Scale. Not only are they iconic pieces of rolling stock, but they'd look fantastic behind Thomas, Percy or any other engine for that matter and people would most likely buy several of them to run longer trains with.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 09:10:51 PM »

Troublesome Truck #6 is now officially in stock.

Any day now, so will Large Scale Diesel and Paxton. Hopefully HO Scale Origin James, Daisy, and N Scale James as well.

Troublesome Truck #7 should definitely be a ventilated van. Another great choice would be a utility wagon/mail car. They could also do another version of #6 that's a Sodor Oil Tanker, since many were upset about the African Tanker being chosen. If Stepney can't be announced just yet, Bachmann may have to settle on another HO Scale recolor like Sidney or Green Salty. Another idea is just reintroduce Salty, thus making Porter a much greater possibility.

Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2021, 10:53:10 PM »

Troublesome Truck #6 is now officially in stock.

Any day now, so will Large Scale Diesel and Paxton. Hopefully HO Scale Origin James, Daisy, and N Scale James as well.

Troublesome Truck #7 should definitely be a ventilated van. Another great choice would be a utility wagon/mail car. They could also do another version of #6 that's a Sodor Oil Tanker, since many were upset about the African Tanker being chosen. If Stepney can't be announced just yet, Bachmann may have to settle on another HO Scale recolor like Sidney or Green Salty. Another idea is just reintroduce Salty, thus making Porter a much greater possibility.

At long last, we have a new product in stock this year! All we had until now was the third revision of James' original model, so I'm glad that something new is in stock despite it being an iffy one among fans. I'm not so interested in buying it myself, but there may still be some out there who will enjoy it.

HO Scale Origin James and both of Toby's Coaches hopefully shouldn't be too far off from being in stock, at least if Troublesome Truck #6 now is. The same could also go for other near-finished products that include HO Scale Daisy, N Scale James and Large Scale Diesel and Paxton.

Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
Narrow Gauge - Sir Handel
N Scale - Edward, Mavis, Henrietta, Milk Tanker, Brake Van
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:04 AM »

Given how ridiculously unusually slow releases have been, the supply chain has been completely broken, and might remain like that for another year. The semiconductor shortage is said to go on until 2023.

Great Northern Fan 54

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 08:54:53 PM »

I wouldn't mind them rereleasing Scruffy with proper Orange Framing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: