STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2021, 05:33:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Future suggestions/predictions thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Future suggestions/predictions thread  (Read 7224 times)
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2021, 09:43:46 PM »

Andrew Brenner and Sam Wilkinson actually wanted BoCo to return in the CGI series, but Mattel said no. For some reason, Mattel has something against BoCo. They were nice enough to bring back Duck, Oliver, Toad, Daisy, Donald, Douglas, Terence etc. but not BoCo of all past characters. This tells me that as long as Mattel still owns the brand, we may never see a Bachmann BoCo, no matter how much we push for it. I think Mattel wants him to be forgotten.

BoCo's model was refurbished for Season 8, but for some reason, was never used in an episode, which just screams wasted potential. I think the reason for that was because during the HiT era, they were too largely focused on making the diesels look like bad guys, so they didn't want to use diesels that were actually friendly like BoCo. That's why the only friendly diesels to appear in the model HiT era were Mavis, Salty, and Rusty. We mostly just had Diesel, 'Arry and Bert giving diesels a bad reputation. They couldn't even use BoCo for Calling All Engines, but it would've been seriously out of character to see him rebel against the steam engines.

At least Stepney was acknowledged by Bachmann. Don't know if BoCo will be.

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Norman, Porter, and Timothy.
My wishlist for N Scale: Gordon, Henry, Edward, and Diesel.
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2021, 10:36:25 PM »

Part of me doesn't want to believe that Boco has no chance, since anything could happen as far as future HO Scale engines are concerned and Stepney's acknowledgement is evidence of that. At the same time, however, the lack of a CGI reappearance and any official references of the character outside the show is a fair point to think about. It's a pretty unclear case for this particular character right now and since it'll remain that way for at least a little longer, I'm not sure if we should come to that kind of conclusion too soon. It might be better to focus on pushing engines that are more likely for the time being (Stepney, Sidney, Salty reissue) rather than making such early conclusions on hypothetical options.

If sharing this helps in any way, Bachmann actually acknowledged a recent fan concept/edit of Boco on Twitter. Linked below:
https://twitter.com/bachmanntrains/status/1432343610272489472

Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
Narrow Gauge - Sir Handel
N Scale - Edward, Mavis, Henrietta, Milk Tanker, Brake Van
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2021, 11:52:55 PM »

Andrew Brenner and Sam Wilkinson actually wanted BoCo to return in the CGI series, but Mattel said no. For some reason, Mattel has something against BoCo. They were nice enough to bring back Duck, Oliver, Toad, Daisy, Donald, Douglas, Terence etc. but not BoCo of all past characters. This tells me that as long as Mattel still owns the brand, we may never see a Bachmann BoCo, no matter how much we push for it. I think Mattel wants him to be forgotten.

BoCo's model was refurbished for Season 8, but for some reason, was never used in an episode, which just screams wasted potential. I think the reason for that was because during the HiT era, they were too largely focused on making the diesels look like bad guys, so they didn't want to use diesels that were actually friendly like BoCo. That's why the only friendly diesels to appear in the model HiT era were Mavis, Salty, and Rusty. We mostly just had Diesel, 'Arry and Bert giving diesels a bad reputation. They couldn't even use BoCo for Calling All Engines, but it would've been seriously out of character to see him rebel against the steam engines.

At least Stepney was acknowledged by Bachmann. Don't know if BoCo will be.
Every character was cleaned up in 2004 because that's when they did updated inventory photos. These are the same inventory photos Bachmann would use for the Thomas range 2005 onward, and why the engines from that point onward looked more accurate.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2021, 12:27:34 AM »

So, Bachmann actually did acknowledge BoCo recently. They said they didn't have immediate plans for BoCo at this time. That doesn't mean BoCo can't happen. It just means Bachmann isn't planning on BoCo right away. If the demand for BoCo increases, that could make Bachmann consider BoCo for the HO Scale range like they are with Stepney.

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Norman, Porter, and Timothy.
My wishlist for N Scale: Gordon, Henry, Edward, and Diesel.
Kemptown Branch

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »

I realized that I haven't talked about HO Scale yet, so here goes.

Engines
Honestly, with Daisy yet to be released, and Ryan on the cards, I'd be a little surprised to see a new engine announced, at least in February. July may be different, but only time will tell. As for the next engine, I do think it would be great if Bachmann could pull Stepney off, because he was one of my favorite characters as a child, and it would be great to see him announced! He also has a ton of demand.

Rolling Stock
Like other people, I think it would be great for them to reintroduce the Red Express Coaches and Tar Tanker. They are iconic pieces of rolling stock, and both go for a lot on Ebay.
As for new Rolling stock, the Works Unit Coach in both liveries could be a good option. It has been used in many different ways throughout the series, and I think it would make a very nice model!

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.
Mulfred100

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 03:39:52 AM »

I've been thinking the last few days about rolling stock that Bachmann could add to the range, one idea that I have settled on was

Old Slow Coach

Old Slow Coach was introduced in the fifth series of the show back in 1998 and appeared twice. Not much of a case but she was always and still is a marketable character. She was a part of a number of merchandise lines including Hornby.

She was introduced by Hornby in 2005 and stayed in the range for a number of years until she and the line were discontinued. These days she can sell from anywhere between 50-150 on ebay second hand. A few points to note about the Hornby model is the few flaws that that model has. Her brown colour is too dark, her basis is off. Her brake compartment (I think that's what it's called) is further down rather then up where her face is. She is missing her rear window, as well as a few other minor flaws.

Now Old Slow Coach is a one series character like S.c.ruffy and the Spiteful brake van and I am aware they were made from existing tooling where as she would require new tooling mainly the body shell. However I feel similar to S.c.ruffy and the Spiteful brake van she would be a very good seller. Theres only really Annie and Clarabel in the coaches range with faces, so adding another coach with a face would add a bit more verity into the range. Thus appealing to us older fans and newer fans who just want a new interesting character on their layout.

I have full confidence that Bachmann would do an amazing job bringing this character to life in the range and as I have said previously would appeal to both fans Old and young.

However the question is what do you all think? Would you buy Old Slow Coach? Would you like to she her made?
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »

Old Slow Coach is a suggestion I never thought I would have seen, but it sounds like a very valid, reasonable pick. She would most likely sell very well for rolling stock standards, as it's been a long time since we last got a brand-new piece of HO Scale rolling stock, older content is in most fans' favor and the character's Hornby model has maintained high value. I would definitely be up for purchasing her in the event that she is made by Bachmann.

Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
Narrow Gauge - Sir Handel
N Scale - Edward, Mavis, Henrietta, Milk Tanker, Brake Van
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2021, 06:54:41 PM »

I just hope that Mattel does get sold to somebody else so that getting a Bachmann BoCo can become a prospect! Smiley
Angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 05:51:20 PM »

I have been thinking. Probably BoCo is under copyright or trademark or something else that makes him unavailable.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »

What just makes you say that?
TheQueenOfSodor

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2021, 02:13:15 PM »

I have been thinking. Probably BoCo is under copyright or trademark or something else that makes him unavailable.

I'm sorry, but this wrong in a really funny way. The idea that BoCo, of all imaginable characters, is the one held up in Rights Limbo. Not Lady, who iirc Sony has some holding in the rights for. Not any of the Railway Series-only characters, those of which Chris Awdry created might be tied up in the book publisher's rights. Not even Stepney or Flying Scotsman, who are real engines in real life (the former of which *did* almost get the Bluebell sued for "copying the engine in the show"). But BoCo, some green boxy engine who gradually disappeared from the show for entirely unremarkable reasons, is the one that has special trademarks required to use his likeness. What a diva!

In all seriousness, BoCo didn't fall into obscurity because of HiT or Mattel's obsessive hatred of everything good in the world, he just got unlucky. I imagine the thought process in him not appearing in Series 6 was that, because they consolidated all the quarries into one Center Island Quarry, having both BoCo and Mavis there to keep Bill and Ben in line was redundant, so they just used Mavis to fill the role. I suppose after that point nobody knew what to do with him, so the writers just moved on to other characters. As for the alleged Brenner Era return, it was really just unfortunate timing that BoCo wasn't able to make it into the huge wave of returning characters from S17-S21. They probably could have brought him in for S22 if not for the development hell that ensued during that time, but I'd rather not this topic become a circular and meaningless discussion about BWBA, so I'll end it there.

Really, the only thing that might stop BoCo from being made is the same thing as every other non-CGI character; the fact they weren't in the CGI series.  Though honestly, the more I think about it, the more a limitation like that being a hard rule right now seems bogus. I mean, we got S.C. Ruffey in both G Scale and N Scale years after he made his one and only appearance, and we got the Spiteful Brake Van in 2019, over 30 years after his only story ever, which was in the model series. Not to mention Mattel also breaks this "rule" fairly often given Bulstrode's recent rise in merchandising (though admittedly his presence in AEG makes this example a bit mute), as well as that one relatively recent Wood playset with Jeremy.

TL;DR, I don't think there's any definitive "rules" in place, and we'll only get the answer if Bachmann either gives a flat-out "no" or announces a model-only character (likely Stepney). As long as we keep pushing for it, we'll get that answer. Don't give up hope over silly made-up reasons, lol.

N Scale Modeler, Enjoyer of "Thomas the Friend".
Wish List for 2022: Edward, Cattle Van, Ventilated Van, Brake Van, Henrietta
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: