STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2021, 10:56:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  On30
| | |-+  Older On30 2-6-0's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Older On30 2-6-0's  (Read 234 times)
BNModeler

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the On30 2-6-0 (#25262) is DCC ready?
Ton N

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »

Not ready but can be converted to.

Ton
Fred Klein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »

BNModeler,

I converted mine to DCC quite a while ago, but I seem to recall that it wasn't too difficult. The most fiddly part of the entire operation was removing the boiler and cab from the chassis. Several of the pipes/wires fit into holes on the chassis and you need to be careful not to break them during removal and re-assembly. IIRC, there is a recess at one end of the internal weight that will fit a small decoder (I installed and N-scale Digitrax decoder, DN123 or 126, can't remember which one exactly) and it works fine. The loco has an internal PC board to which the pickup and motor wires connect. You will need to disconnect these and connect them to the proper wires on the decoder. Like I said, I did this a long time ago, at least 5 or 6 years, and my memory is not as accurate as it used to be. Hopefully, this will help. Wish you the best of luck.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Ton N

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »

You mention the internal weight.
I can remember milling the top of the firebox side of the weight to house a small decoder.

Ton
Fred Klein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:32 AM »

Ton,

On my model, I was originally thinking that I would have to mill the internal weight also, but when I removed the superstructure,  I found a small vertical recess, perhaps 10 to 12 mm wide and perhaps 3-4 mm deep at one end of the weight (if pushed, I would have to say that it was at the smokestack end) and it was large enough to hold the N scale decoder. Anyway, I remember thinking how fortunate I was not to have to mill the weight. I chose to modify the PC board and use it as the tie point for the wiring, running the wires from the decoder to the PC board. Like I said, it was a long time ago so I may be mistaken or thinking of a different locomotive.

Update:

After posting, a light bulb went on and I checked Bachmann's parts list for the locomotive. If you look at the first replacement part, which they call the chassis, P/N 252XX-S25205-5, you can see the recess I'm referring to on the right side of the picture. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:42:52 AM by Fred Klein » Logged

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: